Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

blast from the past, a P&H alpha 100

crane operator ยท 2024-07-01 20:30

Here's one that they didn't make very many of, there's nothing else like it out there, and it wasn't a technological revolution, in that its ideas/ innovations, never made any sense. Its a 100 ton hydraulic truck crane. The only engine in them is upstairs. Sends power downstairs through some gearboxes to the transmission. Which then drives the three steering axles. The fixed rear axles are undriven, almost like trailer axles on a walking beam. It has 4 outriggers one on the nose, one on the rear. Then two huge swing out outrigger boxes, that telescope after they are swung out, making a cross outrigger configuration. Forget about setting one up in a alley, or a street. Its 52' wide with the outrigger beams out. The boom telescope isn't a cylinder, its a gear motor that turns a threaded shaft, extending the boom. It did have quite a bit of boom and jib, 132' of main and another 100' of jib which is pretty impressive for 1981 and a hydraulic. All this is because there's one for sale right now. And they are a really rare bird. 1981 P & H Alpha 100 ton 10x6x8 Hydraulic Truck Crane Eaton Fuller Manual Transmission, Detroit Diesel Carrier Engine, Anti Two-Block, Krueger Load Moment Indicator, 42 ft Minimum 140 ft Maximum Boom Length, Auxiliary Hoist, 40 ft to 100 ft Swingaway Jib, Overhaul Ball www.ironplanet.com And here's a chart, showing the infinite number of outrigger combinations and positions, and quadrants of work areas. The charts are impressive, until you remember its 25' of radius just to get to your outrigger pin. FreeCraneSpecs.com: P&H Alpha 100 Crane Specifications/Load Charts Crane Specification search result for manufacturer: P&H and model: Alpha 100 freecranespecs.com

Replies17
  1. #1Manistar2024-07-01 22:02

    Vic's heavy haul in Minnesota had one back in the day. I was too young to ever see it in action but the operator and my dad got talking about a pick they made with it before my time. They were talking about the goofy outriggers so I looked up the load chart. Definitely an interesting machine and i didnt even know anything about the motor and drive configuration.

  2. #2crane operator2024-07-02 07:00

    They were a art to drive. The air throttle and the long distance to the upper motor, combined with the on/off nature of the 6v92. Then add a air clutch downstairs, and push pull cable shift linkage. The stars better all align to get it down the road.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-07-03 19:02

    It looks like it will need new winch cables. Are there specific types of jobs a machine like that is more suitable for than conventional style cranes? I guess there's a good reason the bid is only $1200.

  4. #4crane operator2024-07-03 20:03

    I'll be surprised if it even brings scrap price. They are just too big of a outrigger footprint. I suppose you could set it up as a yard crane if you had all the room in the world, and stack counterweights all around between the arms of the cross. But you better hope you don't need parts.

  5. #5Acoals2024-07-03 20:26

    What was the point of a goofy configuration like that?

  6. #6crane operator2024-07-03 20:48

    Leave engineers alone too long, and its amazing what they come up with. I think sometimes companies can lack having someone around to say "this is stupid", and shut down a project.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-07-03 21:24

    Curious why anybody would buy one new in the 1st place?

  8. #8mowingman2024-07-04 09:00

    I wonder how many of these cranes were actually built and sold. I would think, not very many.

  9. #9Old Doug2024-07-04 09:16

    Kind of like my Chevy pickup 3 speed 4x4. I dont think they test drove it before they bought it?

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-07-04 16:08

    Transfer case had 3 speeds? If so, that is bizzare.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2024-07-04 22:48

    I gave the listing on iron planet a full study my team of experts (me I myself and I) has determined that it needs cut up in to pieces 3 foot and less and made in to some new kias. That thing looks like a maintenance and repair nightmare.

  12. #12Old Doug2024-07-05 07:07

    No it is a 6 cyl 3 speed transmission that was on the tree 4x4. I have owned a few 4x4s that were 3 speed trans but they were all really low geared this one is not.

  13. #13DDoug2024-07-05 07:29

    When I see something like this that is so far different than their standard fare, I suspect the design was made by someone else. Could be they bought the design from a EU company.

  14. #14Tugger22024-07-05 10:31

    I remember in high school shop class a few of us were driving pickups with 3 on the tree. we put our heads together and and came up with a crude shift kit to convert them to floor shift. The shop teacher came along shook his head and comented ,Do you know how long it took engineers to come up with the conveniece of colum shift and walked away. Needless to say we moved on and bought pickups with 4 speeds.

  15. #15Pops522024-07-05 11:45

    Looks like something NASA or our defense dept might design and have built by P&H.......

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-07-05 14:38

    I had an early Bronco with 3 on the tree but put in a Hurst floor shift.

  17. #17terex herder2024-07-12 18:56

    A friend worked at a crane company that had a screw extension boom, but don't recall if it was a poor and hungry. He said it made a real loud noise when the big nut stripped. The second time it stripped the crane got sold.