Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bleeding air from cat 225

j.urian · 2022-12-15 14:36

Hi everyone, I drained the hydraulic tank on my 225 excavator because I rebuilt the pump drive on it and replaced the coupler on the input shaft. Once I got it all back together I filled the hydraulic tank back up and have been lightly moving the controls hoping to purge all the air out of the system. However, this far both the stick and the bucket will curl out quickly and powerfully but when curling in both functions will pause halfway then slowly continue. I’m doing each function independently. I’m guessing it’s air in the system? Has anyone else experienced this? The hydraulics were fine on the machine before I took it apart. caterpillar 76u3447 thank you justin

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2022-12-15 15:01

    Just keep moving them slowly a little more of the cylinder stroke each cycle. But air shouldn't have got in the cylinders from what you did, is the tank still full? everything else working correctly? If everything else works, then tilt the cylinder so the other end is up, and keep cycling back and forth, full speed is fine, just don't hit the end of the stroke.

  2. #2j.urian2022-12-15 15:07

    Yessir I’ve topped off the tank, I’ll just keep working it like you suggested and see what happens, thank you

  3. #3j.urian2022-12-15 16:00

    I took a video of what it’s doing, how can I upload or forward the two videos? Looking at it now it almost looks like the bucket doesn’t curl in all the way

  4. #4Delmer2022-12-15 18:12

    Usually post the video to youtube or similar and post a link here.