Hey, new member here, need some advice. I recently bought a jcb 1400 in fair condition. I am just using it for personal use. It seems to be perfect for my ranch needs and has been fun.However I recently have learned how important it is, not to run out of fuel. Now I am attempting to bleed the fuel system with not much luck. I have loosened various lines and pumped,looking for some air. I seen a few bubbles and a lot of fuel. It still wont start. several hours and a few choice words... Is there a simple way to get this done? help Thank you for a little guidance.:Banghead
Welcome to HEF bucket! :drinkup
Welcome to the forum, bucket. If you have access to compressed air on the ranch, and hopefully close enough to the JCB, I normally take the blow gun and create a seal around the tank with a rag, etc. I crack the injector lines at the head if accessible, and gently and steadily blow into the tank until straight fuel comes out. Tighten the lines, and crank it up. The filters should be full as well. Good luck.
bucket... I'm not sure what type of engine and fuel pump this has but if its a Lucas DPA pump you really need to ensure the fuel pump is bled properly. I think there is a screw on the side of the pump body that should be loosened a 1/4 of a turn during the bleeding process. I think Lowboys advice should clear any air but if you are still having problems please post what type of engine and fuel system you have.
JCB's normally employed Perkins Diesels. His vintage however, may be different.
thanks from bucket Lowboy, The air sounds like a good plan, as you said it has the Perkins engine and as Wulf mentioned the Lucus fuel pump. so I will crack open the screw as he advised. I have to wait for the next day off to give it a go, I am hopeful it should work. I will post when it's running. Thanks to you and Wulf for your advice I really appreciate the help. Bucket
i know that some machines have a hand primer pump(little handle) on the mechanical fuel pump which is located on the side of the motor. i've seen this on the perkins engines. also, you can loosen the fuel line near the injectors to help purge out the air.
hand pump Skata, ya I found the hand primer I loosened the injector lines and pumped. A lot of fuel came through and i saw a few air bubbles. Maybe i need more patience and try this a little longer....My next opportunity I am going to try again along with the advice the other guys mentioned. Thank you for your input.
Crack the 1/4 ** nipple off at the pump. Use the lift pump provided. If you are having trouble then use some easy start. If still no go then try the compressed air method and just keep cranking and use the easy start (If you haven't already used it all) These can be Buggers to get going especially lose engines. (Ones that breath alot) Well How can that happen unless you opened the one injector with an open delivery valve? Ross
thanks Ross sounds like you have done this a few times,I'll give it a go.
Careful with the ether a lot of Perkins Motors are not suppose to smell it, unless below twenty or thirty degrees- they really knock hard if its warmer I have had good luck with WD 40= works as good and none of the issues Some of the Perkins used a Hydraulic gov - 2 bleed screws on the pump and they need to be bleed in order. Also quite often on a Perkins you have to bleed each line at the injector- other wise the pump does not set for next cylinder to fire Running a Perkins out of Fuel is always BAD!
Yeah they pop and bang with the best of them Desperate times call for desperate measures One on the side and the other on top if i remember rightly? Just keep cracking Injector lines off at the injector while cranking. Thats for sure!!! Ross
got her going Hey, just a big thanks to all those who gave me their advice. I did a little of everything mentioned. Boy that sounded good when she fired up! Time to go back to work.:notworthy :drinkup