Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Block seal?

simonsrplant ยท 2015-12-06 12:32

Now this isn't my style but I'm going to ask anyway: I've had a Cummins N14 celery plus in bits for what was originally a headgasket failure. On inspection it transpired that the block had hairline cracks between two and three. It looses small amounts of coolant to atmosphere. Long story short, the powers that be want it put back together and it will be traded in on a new truck. So my question to you guys, is there a block sealant that will work for this application, strictly short term? I want to send it out mobile not dead. I'm not trying to send it back to work! Thanks in advance

Replies9
  1. #1repowerguy2015-12-06 13:29

    I have used Macs block and head sealer with so so results. It is sold in NAPA stores. You are sending it out to work again, just for a new owner!

  2. #2CaptainAnalyzer2015-12-06 14:01

    My afternoon has been made.

  3. #3d4c24a2015-12-06 15:09

    K seal http://www.kseal.com/uk/ have used it many times

  4. #4John C.2015-12-06 16:56

    Are the hair line cracks in the liner counter bores or somewhere else on the block?

  5. #5wrwtexan2015-12-06 22:38

    KW Block seal can work wonders if the directions are followed. No antifreeze in system and let it dry cure for 24 hours.

  6. #6simonsrplant2015-12-06 22:41

    Happy to have made someones day! Damn Auto correct! Thanks folks!

  7. #7simonsrplant2015-12-06 22:43

    The cracks run out from the liner bores. only small, but a crack is a crack.

  8. #8John C.2015-12-07 00:18

    You can put Z sleeves in for the counterbores. You cut out the cracks and insert the sleeves and cut them for you liner heights. Belzona makes an epoxy type product that works well in vertical cracks in blocks that are caused by freezing. Horizontal cracks that I've been involved in haven't been repairable at all. Link for Belzona products. http://www.belzona.com/en/products/purpose/metal-repair.aspx

  9. #9Greatwestcam2015-12-07 21:15

    Have seen good results from a produce call Iron Tite when used correctly.