Blown block, piston, connecting rod, etc. Case 580b diesel Location: West Kootenay’s, B.C. Canada looking for advice rg: options in moving forward. How challenging is sourcing a block replacement for the 188? Is there a different type of engine that is compatible with 580b? Is there a big enough market to part it out, how much money money could I be looking at recovering vs the effort? Would I be better to sell as is? Thanks for any feed back.
U have to find out WHAT caused the “inspection window” in the first place.. If it’s not catastrophic, u can grind it flat, drill and tap some bolt holes and make a patch w a rubber gasket.. or just weld a patch.. It just depends on your skill level.. Most 188’s get replaced by a 201 when needed..
A 207D is basically the same engine......I believe it just has a bigger bore if I remember right.
I was thinking about doing that exactly, until further inspection I noticed two of the internal walls around the cylinder were also blown out. I had just purchased this machine recently, it was my second time using it, when I first got it I replaced all of the fluids and filters. I remember there being quite a bit of water that came out before the oil in the crankcase, perhaps that had something to do with it. The incredible thing is that this machine still "runs" meaning when it first exploded, I turned it off to check out what happened, I was in a real ****** spot on the property in a digging position with hydraulics out. I tried running it again and it was still going even after I retracted everything and moved it to a more central location.