Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

780CK Case Backhoe- maintenance/T.S.

Rockymountaineer ยท 2022-07-10 14:46

New member here! I recently purchased a new to me 780 case backhoe, Last running in february, Once purchased I was told that they installed a new fuel injector system, I had to install the turbo, thread on the fuel rails, new gaskets on the intake manifold to the radiator, and then add the stack. The year is unknown to me, it used to be a daily snow plow for a 26 acre property, I was told all the hydraulic fluids put in, were for summer use. I'm now at the point where I need some insight. I need to put new batteries in, (unsure of what type to get) I want to top up/fill all the fluids and fuel, And see if I can run it 40-50ft just to see if it can be moved down the road to be put into transport position so I can take it to her new home. Any insight, knowledge, and troubleshooting issues I may encounter given what I've stated above would be super helpful, as I feel I am as green as I am cabbage looking when it comes to old equipment such as this. -what type of battieres should I get -what fluids should I put in, and photos of where -any general starting tips for once I turn the ignition, what to pay attention to, -anything to help me limp her down the hill onto the 60ft flatdeck hauler, Thanks in advance!

Replies1
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-07-10 19:39

    It was made in 1976. You can verify the serial number by looking on the side of the dash column. A tag should be there with it on it. You don't need Cat branded fluids in that 780. AW32 (SAE 10W) oil goes in the hydraulic tank and power shuttle. 80W-90 gear oil for the four speed transmission and differential. Use your own discretion for engine oil weight. It has to be rated for a diesel. If you can get a couple of 1000 CCA battery's that will fit in the boxes that would be good. Any auto parts store will have them. I have found that prices and warranty's vary widely between stores. If it has air brakes and you cannot get enough air pressure to release them, cage bolts can be inserted in the brake chambers to release them. Be extremely careful if you do that, so you don't get, or run over somebody. Here is a link to very useful .pdf file for your machine. ------> https://assets.cnhindustrial.com/ca...es/cce_LB_Historic_780_specs_06-26-2009_1.pdf