Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Blown main drive line. Potential pump damage

gvanzeg · 2025-07-08 08:01

I blew a main drive line on my 2014 Cat 259D and the machine came to a dead stop. I didn’t realize what happened and tried maneuvering the machine for another 20-30 seconds. What are the chances I burned out the pump? How do I check if I damaged anything else

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-07-08 08:33

    First thing can you please post a Serial Number to assist in looking up tehcnical information. If you lost both drive and implement hydraulics at exactly the same time, try this. Have someone observe the cooling fan inside the engine compartment while you start the engine. Does the fan start turning immediately the engine fires up.?

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-07-08 08:37

    Won’t know until you fill er back up after replacing drive line hose and see if pump, pumps. I would consider disconnecting fuel solenoid and turning over a bit to get fluid through the pumps. Sometimes pumps don’t respond well to running out of fluid, especially piston pumps but sometimes they do fine. You should take the opportunity, if the hydraulic tank is empty to flush it out, if it needs it.

  3. #3gvanzeg2025-07-08 09:38

    Serial # is FTK00414. I will let you know about the fan tonight. I should clarify; I lost the drive instantly. I could still raise and lower the forks. Good call on flushing the hydraulic tank

  4. #4gvanzeg2025-07-08 09:42

    I should also add, i didnt hear any odd noises, whirring, grinding etc... I picked up a new line and hydraulic oil as well as a new filter. Side note. The line that blew was a non-oem line that previous owner installed only rated for 3300PSI vs the 6000PSI for the CAT lines.

  5. #5Nige2025-07-08 10:31

    I would suggest that you overfill the hydraulic tank before you first start up again, and with the engine at idling speed gently exercise the travel motor on that side in one direction ONLY. That will expel any air in the system back to the tank. Run the machine for a few minutes then stop and re-check the tank level.

  6. #6gvanzeg2025-07-08 21:25

    Replaced line and topped up oil as per Nigel recommendations. All good. No funny noises. Runs great. Replaced oil filter after using it for 20 minutes. No metal specs at all so I think all is good. Thanks!