Hello to all! I own a 2000 bobcat 328 excavator. Recent travel motor issues had me searching for answers and sites are saying to check the case drains for travel motors. Does the 328 have one? If so where can i find it? Im trying to isolate what might be causing the slow to no forward movement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Good day Firetech Please see attched I hope that is of help, if it is slow only in the fowards direction check out to see if the tracks are being obstructed. Kind regards Uffex
Thanks Uffex. Am i correct in saying the case drain is simply a line that goes back to swivel joint? With no filter? I keep reading that hydro motors have a filter and that is should be checked. I can find it though when i searched the schematics on "bobcatpartsonline". I will have to pull covers off motors and take a look.
Good day Firetech The case drain is the fluid that lubricates the motors - it is formed by fluid passing the pistons to keep things moving - yes it is a line from the motors normal practice is that it will pass through a filter befor entering the tank according to my schematic your machine has such a filter. If your machine tracks in one direction and not the other I doubt if the case drain will resolve any issue. If you have or can source a hydraulic schematic for your machine and post it that would be helpful even better a repair manual will help you to get to know your machine. Kind regards Uffex
thanks again. I have a hydraulic filter coming off the tank only. I dont see any others tied to the hydro system. I did get a chance to visit my property today (where unit is located) and noticed a leak coming from under the machine. When i pulled the floor plate off to investigate i noticed that all was nice and dry. So leak must be more under the machine guessing swivel joint or lower. safe to say a leaking hose can cause the malfunction? Can a leaking swivel joint cause that? Going to attempt to bring unit home and look deeper as its not pretty where it is sitting now. A side note: When i lift the machine up with boom on faulty side the motor operates in both directions freely and evenly as well but when under load (moving machine) it only really moves backwards....and very slightly forwards. machine almost tracks straight when using both sides (both levers forward). Hoping this is a reasonable fix.
Good day Firetech A leaking central joint can result in tracking issues but rather than guess please take a look and come back when we are sure. Kind regards Uffex
Not trying to be a smart*** at all. Have you check for obstructions under the travel petals. If I remember correctly Those machines are cable operated spools for the travel. Possibly out of adjustment? Maybe a few simple checks before you loose your religion removing the swivel
Update: machine is home...nothing jumped out so after removing plates and floor and after pressure washing i finally had a clean area to inspect cuz oil was everywhere. Once cleaned and ran unit for 1 minute i could see oil weeping ( more like pouring) out of swivel joint at the top seal. So......ordered seal kit and ouch!!! for a dozen or so o-rings. I now have it mostly disconnected from the unit and oil was pouring out non stop....i have it plugged up now ( jerry rigged). My question is....will the draining stop or only after it empties tank? I thought it would drain a little but was not expecting gallon or so the came so far???
I forgot to mention that after careful inspection of rods that control the valves i found that the rod had excessive play which surely didnt help but think this leak is the real cause of my intermittent travel issue.
I yet another question.......there will obviously be air in the system after the new install......do i have to somehow bleed the system?
Good day firetech Unless the leak is massive I woud suggest the control rod is the most likely culprit Kind regards Uffex
Your case drain is connected to the tank return circuit. Unless you plug the line it will drain most of the oil in your hydraulic tank.
I see a 90°elbow at bottom of tank line..is that the case drain? Well little update and info for anyone attempting this. I had to remove at least one of the bottom fittings ( large one to travel motor) so i could get lip of barrel past the mount and then spin the unit out. Without removing any fittings the unit will not pass through the hole. Terrible design cuz 1/2" more diameter and the unit could be removed without the extra work of fitting removal. The space is very tight and both fittings must be loosened to remove one if not binding happens.
Swivel is apart on the bench. Different from others ive seen. Seals placed over rotor instead of into barrel. Bobcat dealer mentioned they preheat seals in oil prior to install. Does anyone know how this is done properly?? Any experience with it?
Good day firetech Normal proceedure is to warm some hydraulic fluid and soack the seal making it more supple. See PM Kind regards Uffex
Thank you for that! Im just little nervous with it cuz the cost of seals was little pricey in my book. Trying to do this right without further headaches.