Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 331 Hydraulic Problem

Hemi-Cammer ยท 2014-04-22 11:21

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 1999 331 and have been using it a lot around the yard. I have started having problems with what might be an overload valving issue? If I put the chain on the bucket or even lift with the teeth and try to move something pretty heavy, sometimes the whole boom/stick will just drop and then functions normally once it hits the ground but will do it again and again. It usually is extended out, but doesn't have to be all the way out.. I've been running excavators and other equipment for 20 years and have never had a machine do this before. Any help is appreciated! As Donald Sutherland aka Oddball said in the movie "Kellys Heros": I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

Replies2
  1. #1willie592014-04-22 20:01

    Welcome to HEF Hemi-Cammer. :drinkup Without having a gauge on the circuit to do some testing, I can only guess. Could be a problem with piston seal in boom cylinder or a problem with the port relief valve for boom cylinder base end circuit.

  2. #2murphy7772014-04-22 21:29

    my first guess was piston seal also. I had a skidsteer boom that would do the same thing under any load. I just replaced the seals in my bobcat 323 mini bucket cylinder and the seal kit cost me about 35 $, and about an hour or 2 of work to get them in. its a cheap and easy fix if that is the problem, if the machine still has the same issue then you are only out 35 bucks or so and you move on to the next area that might be an issue.