Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 331, removing main boom cylinder?

Amelia Farms ยท 2015-11-23 11:46

Howdy all. Long time reader but first time poster. I have a 2002 Bobcat 331 Mini Ex that I need to redo the internal seals on the main boom cylinder. Started to remove the cylinder last night and I can't get the pin at the base of the cylinder to budge. I have whacked on it quite a bit with a 5 lb sledge and get nothing. Afraid to get any more aggressive for fear of damaging the casting that houses the pin. Is it better to just remove the rod from the cylinder and do the seals and leave the cylinder in place on the machine? Couple of pics attached.

Replies10
  1. #1excavator2015-11-23 19:51

    I had the same thing the beginning of this year. I heated the bosses red and beat on the pin with a 20 pound sledge and the pin did not move at all. I finally ordered a new pin and used an oxygen lance to pierce it and then it almost pushed out by hand. The cylinder was bad and needed a complete replacement, if you are just needing to repack it I'd just take it apart in place and just leave the barrel there.

  2. #2mikebramel2015-11-23 20:22

    Looks like the knuckle is cracked?

  3. #3crewchief8882015-11-23 20:32

    IMHO, you're a few lbs light on the sledgehammer you'll probably never get that pin out without destroying the pin, swing frame, cylinder, (or possibly all 3) leave the barrel in place and remove the rod. the only time i pull a cylinder completely off is if the barrel is internally damaged/unusable :drinkup

  4. #4Amelia Farms2015-11-23 20:37

    Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I will pull the rod tomorrow and hope the barrel is ok.

  5. #5melli2015-11-24 17:33

    That does seem odd...that the ram cylinder end pin won't come out...I find my all my rams to be sloppy. Guess the pin has bent somewhat... I re-did the bushings on the front end without much fuss. Pins came out without any fuss...it was the bushings that were the problem. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=61372 One can redo the seals on the ram with the cylinder end still attached. Best of luck.

  6. #6crewchief8882015-11-25 16:14

    the base end of the cylinder gets grease, ( hopefully) and pivots on the pin. the pin doesnt move in the swing frame and after a while they typically wont come out without cutting/breaking something. i ve had damaged blade cylinders that i've had to cut to get them off... :drinkup

  7. #7melli2015-11-25 19:54

    Thanks for that info!:thumbsup Guess there are no grease holes in pin where cast mount holds pin...hmmm. One day, over the rainbow, I'll have to dismantle that whole end and redo the bushings and pins. I did have a leak in boom ram, but a $20 Gland Nut tool via Amazon tightened it up and stopped the leak. http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-860...xgy_469_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=08EPCTDMTCBSQYR7YD46

  8. #8crewchief8882015-11-26 07:41

    there are no bushings in the base end of the cylinder.... :drinkup

  9. #9melli2015-11-27 21:21

    Hmmm. As I look at mine, I see an ear welded onto one end of the pin. What do suggest as a method to removing the pin? Kill it with WD-40 or something similar, and pound away? I was thinking if one could trim the ear so pin can rotate (or bend it out), then weld a chunk of protruding metal to it and/or pound the pin so it rotates some...might break the seize?

  10. #10crewchief8882015-11-28 05:48

    i wouldnt remove the pin unless the barrel is damaged and needs replacement. :drinkup