Am looking to buy a mini these are 2 in my price range and size bobcat is 04 2400 hrs JD is 2000 with 4000 hrs. Any recommendations bobcat is 16500 JD is17500. I do some construction and farm use not everyday .
What are the Hrs and condition?
4000 hrs (JD) is a lot on mini ex. Will this be business or hobby? BC334 in 2000 may have pin on bucket, real pain to change bucket. Couple yr newer comes w X attach. The ability to Changing buckets and attachments will add huge number of uses/value to you! Might keep looking, quick web search found few in your price range
That's a good thought I may want to put an auger on it . The BC has a thumb with it. What do you think about a 6200# machine like a bc325 2006 would it be more convenient just less power? Says it will still dig 8'. Thanks for the input
Davech57. Where are you located in Ohio ? I am in Central Ohio. There are a few upcoming auctions that may have mini excavators that would interest you. PM me with location and contact info if you want more details. Happy to help any way that I can. You may also want to look at BC 425 and JD 27 if you like the 325.
Dave, I started with BC 322 (3500 lbs and 7 ft dig) I did a ton of work. Ran auger and hammer (no thumb) Got a good deal on BC 329 w cab and thumb also did a ton work and hours. Would never have machine without cab and Thumb. If price is really tight a thumb is a must, but cab helps maintain controls and seat out of weather I Got more into excavation and demo upgraded to BC e32 (7500 lbs) w hydraulic quick hitch and A/C. It reaches and lifts almost anything I want. In short you will like BC325, a thumb is must and find a ditching bucket to complete package. You will always want bigger and stronger... but that cost $$ and might not fit into site and floating cost increase.
Sorry, I missed the Hrs. 4000 is high so unless it is in really nice shape I would be cautious. Adding a QD bucket system is a must in my opinion. I find that working around the house I switch my bucket sometime 2-3 times in a day to meet the requirements of my projects. May want to look at some other makes as well -Cat, Kubota,etc... Now and then you will see some good deals floating around. Big thing is don't get in too big of a rush and settle for something less than you really want or in a condition that is going to cost you a lot down the road.
I don't put a lot of value on being able to swap buckets quickly...yes, it is nice to have x-change, but I am good with bolt on bucket (ironic, but PO removed x-change from my machine - he said it got sticky and was a hassle). It only takes me a couple minutes to swap buckets. You get good at it. Notwithstanding the fact I like Bobcats, the 4000hrs on JD is too much. Unless everything has been swapped out, I wouldn't even go near it. Too many hours no matter how well it was treated. The pump, two drive motors, the swivel and swing motor, plus the engine will likely need an overhaul or replacement. Plus, the BC has power to burn relative to JD and most other machines in weight class. You will use slightly more diesel as a result, but won't lack power. Odd, the JD specs have it being slightly heavier, yet, 25% less hp. I so agree about having a thumb and a cab....if I had to choose, thumb is more important, but it depends where you live. I'm north of 49 and a cab is a must also. I rib my fellow mini-excavator friend about his machine...no thumb. Imagine using your hands without your thumb...that is the difference. Huge, especially if moving rocks or trees etc. I wouldn't get too caught up in the mechanicals, but I would check the bushings - have arm off ground, and give the whole works a shake side to side. You will get slop, but a lot is a sign that it had a breaker/compactor on it, or the person failed to grease it regularly, and/or was working in gritty material. Bushings are a pain to replace. Rollers, idlers and tracks, no biggie. The house should be checked to see the bearings are tight. Lastly, the engine...clean coolant, and black oil with no shiny crap in it. Some folks get the oil tested. As long as it sounds good (if you play around diesels, you'll know a good sounding engine), and is clean, they can putter for a while. I made up a skookum pressure tester which I would plug into machine and check pressures....would tell me a lot about it's health. Finally, a machine with a maintenance record or a stack of receipts showing maintenance is a good sign...if I see hodge podge repairs, I'd run. Ironic, but when I got my machine, it looked like hell on the outside, but I open the engine and hydraulic compartment, and it looked spotless (near new). Owner (a stickler for maintenance) lent it to friend (real estate guy - go figure) who flogged it, but the hydraulic components were sound, as was the engine. That's what sold me. I've replaced 5 rollers and 1 idler....no biggie (and redid front end bushings - pricier than I thought and took finesse to swap them out - more money than all the idlers and roller I replaced). I've put a thousand hours on it, and hopefully, can put another thousand on it before I need to worry about big ticket items like drive motors.
Thanks again for some good advise . Now looking at a bc325 o4 with 2400 hrs thumb and 3 buckets asking 11,500 I think honk it would do most of what I have to do. Price seems good and if need bigger rent or hire it out.
A big difference in power all around between a 325 and 334....not saying you'll regret it, but that extra oompf in a 334 makes a world of difference. And size wise, the 334 is only 7" wider. Plus, they really cram the 325 over the 334. To each their own...best.
325 is gone many Dodged a bullet. Understand what your saying am use to 7500# machine i LL keep looking
Got a 2002 334 BC 2600 hrs hydro thumb and 2 buckets runs good and a tight machine not sure about the x change . Time will tell.
Congratulations. Let us know how you like it after a few hours. What size buckets?
First, all minis suck to work on. We have an older 334, it is a good machine Just know if you need to work on it, many covers need to come off. We also have A JD 27 and a 50, both in the 8k hr range. Really no abnormal wear on either. And Isuzu engines given even minimal maintenance will run a long time. Does your 334 have a Kubota in it?. Also a darn good engine.
I havent had a chance to use it much yet looks like we may be in for an early spring . I have a 20 & 24 in bucket..Does have the Kubota with 2600 hrs.Will keep you all posted after I get some time on it.
My 2002 BC 334 2600hrs. Weak pressure on blade and rotation was working fine any ideas? Kubota and has the blue pump.