Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 337 – running HOT

Bubba ยท 2013-08-18 20:39

ANYBODY & EVERYBODY: HELP NEEDED I got a 337 that I purchased about month and half ago and besides the other things that happen to it I got another one. My machine is running HOT. I took the thermostat out checked it and it opens and closes. I fill it up with coolant and then pressure tested it. It held pressure for 1 hour. Same for the radiator cap. While pressure testing it after sitting for 15 minutes I decided to start it and I let idle for 15 minutes and it did/t run hot. So I open the throttle wide open and at 2900 RPM and let it run for 1 hour and the gauge stayed in the middle and never moved. So Figured I must have fixed it. I put it on job today and and started digging and after operating it for 20 minutes it started to heat up. It got over in the yellow and then the safety feature shut it down. I waited a few minutes then restarted it and had cool down some. I let it idle and it started it cool down. I started digging and it done the same thing. I let it idle before it went to the shutdown and it immediately started cooling down. I went back home after finishing the job an took the thermostat out. I went out and started digging and it seemed to do a little better but after 45 minutes it ran hot an shutdown. I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP THAT ANYBODY COULD GIVE ME TO STOP THIS THING FROM RUNING HOT. THANKS BUBBA

Replies6
  1. #1willie592013-08-18 22:36

    You've checked that the fan/alt belt is tight? Checked that the radiator and oil cooler isn't clogged externally preventing air flow? You've already verified thermostat is working proper. At this point, I'm yanking radiator and taking it to a radiator shop. 9 times out of 10 the radiator is clogged internally. And even if it turns out that's not the problem, you at least know you have a good radiator that will give you good service for several more years.

  2. #2Bubba2013-08-19 08:21

    Thanks wille59 for the good advice. I fixing to pull the radiator now. My radiator shop said to check the water pump before I pull it by sticking a garden hose in the radaiator and disconnect the top hose and stick a rag in the inlet of the radiator so that the water want run out of the radiator. Start the engine and the water should pump water through the engine. I got the thermostat out so it should be fast. I had a busted hyd line bust from the pump before it went to the shop to rebuild the drive motor and it sit for about two weeks. It may have injested the hyd fluid in the radiator flews and stopped it up. Thanks again old buddy help. I started to stop by the last time I came through Knoxville and see you but I was in hurry to get home. SEE YA

  3. #3willie592013-08-19 19:38

    Let us know if you get it sorted out. :drinkup

  4. #4Bubba2013-08-20 05:02

    Willie59. I pulled it and radiator man said by lookin at it defently need cleaning. He was gonna pressure test it an clean it. I let you know boss what the outcome. I hope this will fix it. The water pump was good. Thanks. Bubba

  5. #5Bubba2013-08-23 21:33

    Thanks wille59 for your help. After cleaning the radiator it fixed the running hot issue. I run it hard for about a hour and the gauge stayed about 1/4. Thanks again......

  6. #6willie592013-08-23 22:05

    Awesome, good news indeed Bubba. :drinkup