Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX120-true fix of urban myth?

wilko ยท 2013-08-18 22:01

Like apparently most other Hitachi dash 2 or 3 owners, my machine has gremlins that cause it to randomly slow to complete uselessness, but never when the mechanic is standing there with the clock running. I've seen recommendations for a manual conversion kit, and they are listed on ebay, but nobody ever seems to have actual knowledge of how they work. Anybody out there actually seen one of these kits or know if they really work?

Replies13
  1. #1shopguy2013-08-19 20:38

    I have heard of it also but I have heard of ufo's too. What have you tried or not tried to fix yours? maybe we can get it going

  2. #2Randy882013-08-19 21:46

    wilco, what are you referring to as far as a kit to fix what, mine slows the track speed to a crawl and then stops and may go like it should again and sometimes I have to reverse directions to get it to go again, other times it snaps out of it on its own, its totally random and can happen every few minutes or be hours between episodes, but I'm told it can't be diagnosed till it does it constantly, which has been years now and its not changed one bit on how often it happens, that and I haven't had time to think about fixing it.

  3. #3JBGASH2013-08-19 22:50

    Our EX120 has been an excellent machine so far with only a fuel pump issue one time. Has over 6000 hrs now and runs just as good as when it had 1000 hrs.. Wilko- what kit are you referring too?

  4. #4wilko2013-08-20 00:59

    The quick and easy first. The kit is supposed to, I think, bypass all the electronics for the hydraulics. Not sure if it really accomplishes that or not. Last fall it started losing all speed in the hydraulics. It would barely move on level ground, the boom would take two minutes to lift, etc. Let it sit for a while and it would run again. The mechanic told me it was classic worn pump. I sent it in, he said the rebuilder said it was junk. So they sold a new pump, which does the same damn thing, although in a slightly different way. It will be working fine, then everything just goes cold molasses. Only one function will work at a time, and that's in slow motion. Sometimes if you shut it off for five minutes, it'll be fine. Other times it can sit overnight and still not work. Keep shutting it off and restarting it and eventually it works. Sometimes the boom is fine but it will barely travel on "turtle" mode. Give a little pull on the boom up and it takes right off.(I can live with that, but it's still not right) Had the mechanic look at it, kinda shrugged and said it might be the pump angle sensor(on a new pump). Replaced that, didn't help. Cleaned every electrical connection, replaced the fuses and cleaned the fuse panel. Had a specialist come look at it, it had no stored codes and worked fine all day. He couldn't figure anything out with it working fine the whole time he was there.

  5. #5shopguy2013-08-20 19:45

    Have you checked the voltage at the DP and Angle Sensor harness ?

  6. #6wilko2013-08-22 22:41

    Checked voltages at all the sensors, all was in spec. The thing worked great yesterday and the day before, hopped in it today and it went worthless in about 5 minutes of operation. Shut it down and tried to use the cat until too many boulders got in the way, tried the hoe and it worked for another 10 minutes before it went worthless. Went back to the cat for 15 minutes or so, back to the hoe and it worked fine. I used to love that thing, now I'm starting to hate it.

  7. #7Randy882013-08-23 07:25

    Keep at it, some of the rest of us want to know what's causing the problem too. As for hating the machine, look at the bright side, you could buy another one for a whole lot more money and it do the same thing, at least that's what I keep telling myself to make me better. I'm personally waiting for the "fix it fairy" to come during the night to fix it for me and the problem will be gone just like it came, apparently he's been too busy to show up though, or else he's been here and can't figure it out either and just doesn't want to admit it, not sure which it is. I've taken mine in to be worked on a few years back, cost me two trips to the repair shop, one to take it one to get it, and a thousand bucks to have them load their own cement and it never once acted up, the next day first thing it did it for me, and you thought you hated your machine?

  8. #8jaytech2013-08-23 15:16

    did new displacement solenoids come with the pump?

  9. #9shopguy2013-08-23 20:53

    Put a digital volt meter on the middle wire of the dp sensor harness and extend the wires to the cab so you can read dp siginal voltage from the seat , watch it when it works ok then when it stops working and tell us what you find. Should read around 4.5v running hands off and drop when you pull a lever.

  10. #10wilko2013-08-23 21:13

    Wouldn't it be great if the things would cooperate?

  11. #11wilko2013-08-23 21:15

    Yes.

  12. #12wilko2013-08-23 21:17

    I'll try that, but it'll be next week. Noticed a growling noise, water pump needs replacing. At least that's easy. Sigh.

  13. #13andrew m2015-07-12 22:15

    I had problem with my ex120-2 with dipper speed slow down I service valve body did everything I could think of same problem I found out it was the load sensing valve between the cab and engine bay and swing motor I unplug the relays and it work