Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 430 fast track computer errors

AdamjEdgar ยท 2018-06-18 18:07

Hi guys, Im new to this forum. I have owned a Bobcat 430 zhs fast track excavator since 2007 and it has done 4000 hours. Whilst some comments on this forum re fastrack system have been negative, i actually really like the hydrostatic drive system. I drive a lot using my feet and find the ability of the bobcat to maintain full use of all hydraulics functions whilst tracking creates a very fast workflow...particularly when backfilling or moving dirt when tracking is required. Not saying no other model can do it however, this is the only excavator i have driven where machine retains full hydraulic function of all joystick controls whilst at the same time tracking. On other machines i have driven only slew function remains fully operational whilst tracking. Ok now onto my problem... About 6 months ago an alarm went off my machine suddenly lost all hydraulic function, all dash lights went out..but the engine kept running. I turned off the key....but the engine kept running (even when i took key out of ignition). Eventually it shutdown by itself after i suppose a minute. It would not start again. I had my truck pretty much loaded so i left itand tipped off the load returning about an hour later. Machine has not played up in about 50 hours (hasnt done much in6 mo ths) until now. A few days ago, an alarm goes off and once again same thing...complete loss of hydraulics, all ignition lights go out, but engine keeps running even with key turned off and removed from ignition. This time no matter what machine refused to correct itself. Eventually we managed to figure out a way of getting it going by removing the computer fuse whilst ignition key is in the on position (even though ignition lights may be out)...which i assume resets the computer. Two of us managed to get the machine down the driveway and back on the truck by repeatedly removing computer fuse and reinstalling it...took at least a dozen cycles to achieve that task over a distance of 20 metres. And a few more getting onto truck. It threw a number of error codes although most often "none" because most often the dashpanel would simply go dark. Error codes i did manage to get are 9-22 fuel level below limit 12-23 shimKontroller front ext. Hydraulic not in neutral range 33-23 callibration required ACS 21-03 glow plugs. faulty shutdown 63-06 (cant find this one but bobcat tell me) console switch short to ground. Ok so bobcat dealer said maybe the computer board has crapped itself...3k-4k for another one they thought...but its been so long since they did one price is vague. I was going to simply bypass the computer completely with a new harness controlling function solenoids with simple 12 volt switches. Before doing that however i spent a few hours cleaning all of the earths i could find from the computer board to engine. I then removed all unecessary fuses and relays, keeping only absolute minimum required to operate the machine (eg computer, ignition sw, hydraulics, fuel) I also noticed the hydraulic pump belt was loose and flapping around a lot (as well as slipping when tracking under load), and that there is also a sensor near this belt next to starter motor housing. I presume this sensor is to detect a loose pump belt? In any case i tightened the belt. I then started the excavator on the back of truck and it ran for 10 minutes without a problem. I then unstrapped it, and reversed off the truck and down the ramps to the ground. Just when i thought problem was solved...the 2 speed hydraulically driven radiator fan went into high rpm mode and instantly the machine shutdown again. I went around to the fan and unplugged its rpm controller solenoid. The machine started up again and then ran with fan on high rpm (the solenoid when activated reduces fan rpm i guess) for 30 minutes moving a pile of dirt about 15 metres without any issue. I shut the machine down, plugged the fan rpm solenoid back in again....this time when i started the excavator the temp gauge on dash wasnt working (it 100% was before). I operated the machine moving dirt and tracking around for approx another 10 minutes. The temp gauge refused to work and i suspect consequently thesystem did not sense any need to increase fan speed controller to high speed so machine shutdown issue did not repeat itself. I shutdown the machine and unplugged fan controller...temp gauge immediately started working again. Backing up a little...i am not sure that i recall the machine stopping consistently each time the fan controller cut in before...i do recall that happening at least once (the errors and symptoms were so varied its hard to remember to be honest). Finally, ever sincei purchased this machine at 900 hours, the fan has almost never stayed in high speed mode for more than a second or two....other than in very hot conditions and/or whilst rock breaking (i dont usually rock break with high engine rpm) Havent had machine out doing any further testing as its been raining for last few days. I am not sure about hydraulic fan solenoid being the issue...im not sure that any of the error codes reflect that? This has me somewhat baffled. I did inspect the computer board itself for damage and it visually appears perfect (not suggesting a circutboard component couldnt have failed though) I think bobcat dealer said they can download the error codes from the excavator computer, i am wondering if perhaps the computer firmware has become corrupted over time and it now needs an update? Any thoughts/ideas?

Replies0

No replies yet.