Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 543 hydro pump broke… DYI rebuild?

Superman ยท 2010-04-04 21:01

BIG HELLO!!! :usa I just bought a bobcat 543 with 800 hrs and i bought it with out rearing it run becuas4e it needed a " starter" well, That was BS. I tested the starter when i got it home and it was good. put in on and fired up instantly.. Thought all right..... lets play. Well, it had no oil in the hyd system filled it up and it poured back out of the pump.. closer inspection the pump had been off... so i took it off to check it out. Bolts were finger tight. Long story short i found the left side ( rear ) pump was destroyed by the rotating assembly "spider" had broke in to and let all the little brass things on the back of the piston fall out.. Ive seen this from someone trying to pull them before.... I bet that's what happened buy why? That i may never know... Anyone have any luck doing a DIY rebuild on a pump both pressure pumps are Eaton 70145's There a piston type pump with a cam for direction... The pumps cams and other bearing surfaces look near flawless and measure no wear at all. I planned on buying a new rotating Assembly and seal kits for the entire pump and give it a shot. I guess i was lucky that the metal didn't get run long at all and destroy anything.. Lesson learned.. Never trust anyone that something will work and run as described... sad really....... Any who, Glad to be on the site and i look forward to lending any assistance i may be able to provide. Herers a link to the pump and whats inside of them http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/07-623.pdf

Replies13
  1. #1willie592010-04-04 22:21

    Sorry to hear about your trouble Superman. I can't help but wonder how an axil piston pump goes south at just 800 hrs? Are we sure the hours are correct on the machine? Maybe it had a hyd malfunction that put excessive pressure on the pump and busted the swash plate. Who knows. You shouldn't have a problem rebuilding it, if it hasn't destroyed too many components of the pump. Hope ya have some good luck with it.

  2. #2Superman2010-04-05 16:00

    I bought the parts today and all new bearings, seals and 1 new rotating assy. drained the tank, put a wix filter and hopefully ill get the parts tomorrow so i can get to work... The 849.8 hrs are correct as i have a log with maintenance. I can only assume that they tried to pull it or was doing something really dumb to brake the pump like that. It needs tires to and when i get it going correctly ill buy a set of ebay tires for 320.00 shipped : )

  3. #3maytag2010-04-05 19:48

    FYI, Check the case drain line and the suction lines(charge circuit) making sure there are no obstructions. High case drain pressure combined with a high negative pressure on the suction side of a piston pump can pop the brass slippers off a piston. In case you need a service manual I may be able to help-just provide your email address. Good luck, Maytag

  4. #4Superman2010-04-05 20:38

    maytag, I would like to take you up on that offer.. email is [email protected] Thanks so much guys.

  5. #5Superman2010-04-06 20:49

    I got her all rebuilt today, Got it in for a trial run and SUCCESS!! works like new... Now i just have to reajust everything back..

  6. #6willie592010-04-06 21:00

    Good to hear ya got it working.

  7. #7Superman2010-04-06 22:24

    Well, as in success I ment the pump works... well, nearly all of the hoses leak or are skinned up pretty good.. I replaced 3 hoses just to find 4 more are leaking badly... LOL. Oh god...... 40 bucks a hose SUCKS! :soapbox

  8. #8stovein2010-04-07 08:58

    Was there any grit,shavings or other small pieces of crud visible in there? If so you probably have to take the motors off too and clean them out. Its a closed system and dirt in the motors will come back to the new pump unless the newer ones have a filter in between pump and motor.

  9. #9Superman2010-04-07 19:41

    I done my best to get all the oil oil out.. I ran it about 30 min and changed the WIX filter, I cut it open for inspection and i found little to no Brass flakes.. I flushed the tank and what not. I finally got a DRY bobcat after 6 hoses and 145.00 later. I seem to be having some what of a problem with my left foot control. To rase the bucket it takes quite a fit of force say 30 pounds of pressing down? Its just the heel down not toe down on the left. The right bucket dump rase is smooth as silk. Is it a bad valve of some grit stuck in her? seems to be getting a little worse to be honest. How much of a job is it to fix or inspect that combination valve?

  10. #10Sam_French2010-04-11 10:21

    Superman thank you for starting this thread and posting a manual. Did you need any special tools? I have a 743B and want to do all mechanic work myself. Thank You, Sam

  11. #11Superman2010-04-11 12:09

    NO it was straight forward really, You only need basic hand tools and maybe a mic. to check wear clearances on the pump. I cant belive that it costs 2500.00 to rebuild this pump.. worse case ( like mine) it cost only about 488.00 with all parts, all new bearings and all new seals to redo it. I say jump in there and go for it. Ive put 30Hrs on it so far and have been using the thing today to bust up a old driveway.. nice!!!

  12. #12maytag2010-04-11 12:24

    "I done my best to get all the oil oil out.. I ran it about 30 min and changed the WIX filter, I cut it open for inspection and i found little to no Brass flakes.. I flushed the tank and what not. " Its what you can't see that does the majority of damage to a hydraulic circuit, especially with piston type pumps and motors. A micron is a 1 millionth of a meter, 40 microns is about all a human eye can see. I believe the particulates 15-25 micron are the right size to cause "3 body abrasion" between piston and cylinder bore and shoes and the plates they ride on(I'd have to look that up to be sure). Its been my experience when one catastrophic failure occurs it may not be long until another-some people recommend changing both pump and motors at the same time. Good luck, Maytag

  13. #13elbowcarey2012-01-30 12:26

    543 manual Hey Superman, I'm new to the site but I was reading that you were given the repair manual for a 543 and was wondering if I coiuld get it from you.............I just picked up a 543 and I have a left side drive problem I am trying to figure out and I could really use the diagram, Let me know thanks Craig