Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 610 engine knocking when hot?

rick342 ยท 2010-12-28 11:35

Hey Guys.... The Wisconsin runs and sounds great, but after removing snow for about 30 mins. I'm getting some "knocking" sounds under a load, either turning raising boom etc. but no noise just going straight. It seems its hot but the cooling "intake" on the right is clean. Any Ideas what to look for?? Thanks a million & Happy New Year! Rick

Replies7
  1. #1willie592010-12-28 21:43

    Well, can't say I know what your problem is, but somehow, you're going to have to get a better feel of where the noise is coming from. Could be an engine noise, could be your drive pulley is loose on the shaft, maybe the drive coupler for the pump, have you checked these things out? If you feel it is an engine noise, does your oil pressure gauge work? Does it still have the VH4D Wisconsin? Being an air cooled engine, I really doubt it's running hot, especially if your in the cold pushing snow. More likely it's simply making the noise when it's "warmed up". If it's a connected rod knocking, that's typically a rather distinct noise. Ticks, pings, tapping knocks, a little tougher to pinpoint. Valve adjustment maybe? Another possiblity, kinda rare, but seen it happen, carbon buildup on top of pistons and inside head affects combustion, makes pings under load. It's a bit of a project to remove the heads on those things to check that. You might try putting some new spark plugs in it and use a bit of octane booster, maybe even a lead additive. Those engines were made back in the day when gasoline was the real stuff. Newer fuels may be having an effect.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2010-12-28 23:06

    Those old Wisconsins are nearly indestructible. I did an oil change on one and was interrupted midway, ended up running the engine with no oil in it for 1/2 hour. It never missed a beat and ran for years after on a generator/welder. I'm with Atcoequip, I'd look at the accessories and flywheel on the shafts.

  3. #3Lil' Puss2010-12-28 23:26

    Don't mean to hijack, but I know the VH4D's haven't been made for awhile. Does anyone know what replaced it?

  4. #4koldsteele2010-12-29 11:11

    I replaced one in an L35 newholland skid steer with a Duetz motor ..Cant remeber what model but it was fairly simple deal on that machine..

  5. #5willie592010-12-29 21:14

    Do you mean "what engine replaced the VH4D in the sucessive Bobcat machines"? Or, "what's a suitable replacement for the VH4D"? The problem you find re-powering a machine that has the Wisconsin is it used a tapered output shaft, not many replacement engines have that. Here's an outfit that has a re-power kit using a Briggs Vangaurd. A little spendy, but so is replacing the machine. Can't say for certain but it looks like they have machined a tapered insert that goes on the output shaft. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Bobcat&Model=610

  6. #6rick3422011-01-01 20:55

    thanks for the info guys...will check

  7. #7rick3422011-03-10 17:34

    I do need a replacement engine, still runs but its gone... any good drop in replacement engines???? Thanks