Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 610 shutting off issue (solution)>?

rick342 ยท 2008-11-03 08:59

Hi everyone... great forum. I have finally pined down the problem of why the 610 is shutting off after running for about 20 min or so. It is not electrical... I changed all the fuel lines from the top of the tank to a new clear fuel filter, and the to the fuel pump. Initially the fuel filter fills with gas, the it slowly starts to empty, and when its empty the machine shuts off. The strange thing is after about 5 mins (with the key off) fuel will start to trickle into the filter and then I can restart the machine and use it until the filter runs dry. I took the pump off and it seems to be working, so I was wondering how the fuel pick up works in the tank, could I be sucking air from inside the tank??? I did blow into the hose into the tank and it seems clear and I could hear bubbles from the tank. Also gas cap vent seems clear. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance......Rick

Replies17
  1. #1Pecord Exc2008-11-03 09:04

    are any of the new lines you just put in rubber? I had a similiar issue with a ford 555e about a year ago, did a service on it changing the fuel filter, well once i did that the fuel pump was strong enough to collapse the rubber lines from the fuel tank to the pump.

  2. #2rick3422008-11-03 09:12

    Yes, but new rubber lines are not collapsing....Thanks

  3. #3Pecord Exc2008-11-03 09:18

    Is there a return line from the injector pump.... this is a diesel right?

  4. #4rick3422008-11-03 09:26

    Good question!!! Gas Wisconsin

  5. #5Pecord Exc2008-11-03 09:32

    sounds like the float in the carburator is hanging up

  6. #6rick3422008-11-03 09:34

    would that prevent the fuel pump from sucking gas??

  7. #7Komatsu 1502008-11-03 09:42

    Had the same thing on a small diesel. A new brass elbow on the suction line from the tank had a crack and the transfer pump was sucking in air. Did not leak at all even though the tank was well above the fitting. My injection pump shops owner found it using shaving cream.

  8. #8Pecord Exc2008-11-03 09:52

    What model# on the engine, did you change out the fuel pump?

  9. #9rick3422008-11-03 09:58

    did not change out fuel pump yet.... That was my next step but I was waiting to see if anyone had any other things to look at before I did this.... I appreciate your help....

  10. #10Pecord Exc2008-11-03 10:00

    What model number on your motor, some one the fuel pumps can be rebuilt,(very easy) and most likely would only need a new diapragm or the pumps themselves should be less than $30

  11. #11rick3422008-11-03 10:02

    I will check when I get home.....

  12. #12Pecord Exc2008-11-03 10:11

    http://www.wisconsinmotors.com/partc/engines/ve4d_vf4d.pdf You motor should be a VH4d, of a VG4D, either way this parts diagram may help you, Good luck I dont have a warm fuzzy feeling about the diaphragm in the fuel pump, which should be an y easy fix

  13. #13rick3422008-11-03 13:47

    thanks for the link......

  14. #14Steve Frazier2008-11-03 13:48

    The last thing you should check is if the machine will run any differently with the fuel cap removed, this will eliminate the possibility of the vent on the cap not working correctly. Have you tried disconnecting the fuel line on the output side of the pump to see if the pump is moving gas? On my old Wisconsin there was a manual lever to prime the carburetor, you could use that to see if the fuel pump is working. Just be sure you don't spill gas on a hot motor!

  15. #15rick3422008-11-04 15:33

    Steve.... no I have not removed the "out" side of fuel pump. But I did check the gas cap seems perfect.. I'm away for two weeks now, when I get home I'll check it out... Thanks for everyones help.. Rick

  16. #16Matt Smith2022-02-17 09:44

    I made an account just to put this information in for others. I was having the same issues. What I did is the following. The issue: Runs great at startup and then slows down to a dead engine at about 20 minutes. Shut machine off and restart was fine almost instantly. These didn't fix it but... plugs wires compression test cap rotor coil fuel lines carb rebuild electric fuel pump atf in cylinders Diesel in crank Timing Still would bog down at about 15-20 minutes Someone suggested jumper from battery to coil. It still did it, but I messed up and tried to shut the machine down with the key. I forgot the jumper. At that point the engine went right back up to operating RPM. Did another cycle and noticed that the amp meter was at 40 amps when it started slowing down. Turn key off, RPMs went right back up. Now keep in mind, the motor was still running. I then shut it down and disconnected the alternator. Runs like a champ. It must have been making a magnetic brake that would bog down the engine. Took the alternator in for a test and it failed. New alternator installed and it runs just fine. Hope it helps.

  17. #17Old Doug2022-02-17 11:54

    If the fuel cant get into the float bowel it will not run through the line? So if the float or needle in the carb had a problem you wouldnt see gas flowing. My case the pump is weak and it has a problem some times like the float is stuck and theres not enough presser to push the needle seat open. I rigged a electric pump up so if this happens i turn it on for a short time then it starts i turn it off. I need to get a new pump some day. I worked on a Gale with a ford engine its needle was in two parts with like a small plunger and spring inside i removed the spring and its working of i bet the pump is weak on it.