I am looking at buying an 1845 for $2900.00 to use on the farm. I have zero seat time in this type of machine, however I am a quick learner and know how to "feel a machine using my wranglers". The machine I am told runs good, has a new injector pump, new seat, decent tires and is somewhere around 45hp? I intend to test drive it when the owner gets back in town. The bucket has rust holes in a few places although its no problem since I have been welding for close to 20 years. The left rear of the machine has two aux hyd lines that are capped off currently. I want to know if this machine would run a bush hog? is there enough pressure? What is the lifting capacity of the loader? Whats the history of this model, good or bad? Can I still get parts and are they reasonable? I should be able to handle most maintainance issues with relative ease and tools are not a problem either. What does this machine weigh?
I also will ocasionally use this machine to dig with, is it a radial or a vertical machine? How well would it dig if you compared it to, say... a 4x4 tractor with a loader of the same hp rating?
The original case 1845 was rated for 1800 pounds lift and was 45 hp. The early case's had a case 188 diesel or a 159 case gas motor in them. When the 1845c model came out the horsepower when up to the 50's and I believe the last of the 1845c's were around 65hp. Those can be identified by having a grey rops w/ a single overhead lap bar. The aux. hydraulics that they had back then, are not nearly as powerfull as what we have today, and I doubt you will be pleased with how it runs the bushhog. The case 145's were all what would be called a radial lift loader. This means that the bucket follows an arc across its range of motion. The earlier 1845's were good loaders, but the 1845c's, all equiped with a 4-39 cummins were awesome, just about the most reliable skidloader produced, they set the bar for everyone else to follow. Even case's current skidloaders isn't as reliable as the old 1845c's. It isn't unheard of to see loaders above 7k hours, and still going strong. Most I ever saw was a little over 13k. Parts can be found at a case ag or ce dealer, if you trade the j for a 3 engine parts are available from any cummins dealer. Sorry, don't remember the weight.
What is the ground speed of this machine?
I don't remember the ground speed exactly but as I recall it was around 6 mph. Everything said about the 1845C above I agree with. I never owned an 1845C but have had 6 1840's. Great machines. If you could find a C model that would be ideal. The C's made about 18 gpm at 2500 psi which is lower than current CASE machines. The C model made 56 hp, the 1840 made 50. The 1845 model is the largest selling machine of all time (of any OEM).
KSSS... Do you know the weight of the machine? What do you think of the price?
If its a c model, the price is missing a digit, or at least needs them re-arranged, or something major is wrong. Or you just found the buy of a lifetime. If its a straight, b, or s, your still getting a deal if everything works like it should.
The price is way cheap. By contrast, the C model still can easily bring 9-12K. I cant think of a skid steer that holds its value like the 1845C. I would expect the weight to be around 6500.
Thanks to all for the information. Does anyone have any thoughts on the digging question or the question comparing the 1845 to the tractor? The machine would be used most of the time for lifting, pushing and digging, so if its pretty crappy at running a bush hog and not worth the effort I can just use my brothers tractor for the every once in a while bush hogging that needs to be done. Any idea about the breakout force?
I was able to get the id number off the machine today. Can anyone decipher it? its 5577518 off the plate, everything else is too corroded to read.