Looked at a bobcat 743a the other day just for using around the farm. It started and ran and other than a really loud whine when trying to turn sharp, seemed ok, but i'm kind of scared off buying it because they look like they would be so hard to work on and it is an old machine. Everything is crammed into tight space and there is a lot of parts.Is there anything special to look for when checking one of these out. The guy said it had 5000 hrs on it when he bought it 15 yrs ago and the meter is broke so who knows how many hrs it has. He wants $7500. and it has a bobcat backhoe attachment and a post hole digger with 2 augers and also an extra bucket. The price is ok, but........? i don't know. Any opinions or advice? I was actually looking for a backhoe and i ran across this. I;ve been reading some post about these and all the stuff that can go wrong, i;m used to tractors, but not skid steers or backhoes.
If is a 743 and not a 743B the axle seals and bearings are a big job to replace. 743 and 743B the universal joint between the engine and the Hydrostatic pump is difficult to grease and therefore often does not get greased, can get rusty and break causing big damage. The engine would need to be removed to change the U joint, and if there is no record of it being changed, I would change it. While the engine is out I would replace 2 hydraulic lines that run along the bottom just in front of the engine, they tend to rust out. The good news is the engine is easy to remove and install.
Good videos on a 743 here: Ed
I think the price is a little high. However the 743 is a very good machine. Make sure you grease the U joint that drives the hydro
It's a743a if that makes a difference. He priced the skid steer at $4500. and the two attachments at $3000. which I thought was good price. I just don't know much about skid steers.