Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing seals/o-rings on hydrostatic pump control shaft/spool

Axel · 2015-03-12 15:38

Does anyone have experience in replacing the o-rings on the "M46" pump? The "sleeve(P/N6657315)" in which the "spool(P/N6715125)" moves does not want to come out. I have avoided gripping and pulling to hard as to avoid damaging something. In the diagrams it just says to "remove sleeve". I'm trying to do this with minimal disassembly.... Btw, it says that "removal of any of the mechanical control will result in the loss of the neutral setting and will require neutral adjustment." I'm hoping that if I reinstall the bracket precisely in the exact place/way as it was(as evident by the disturbed paint), then it should return to where it was... resetting neutral seems like a lot of trouble... The pump is referred to in the diagrams as "Hydrostatic Pump (M46 - Servo Assisted)" the replacement seals in the photo below are what the dealer sent me but they are quite obviously for a different pump

Replies4
  1. #1Axel2015-03-12 15:47

    Forgot to mention that this is regarding a 1999 bobcat 863F with AHC

  2. #2alrman2015-03-12 18:49

    The sleeve is made from a very hard material. I use a pair of vise grips to do this job, & have never scored a sleeve. Leave the inner spool fitted during the process to help stop too much crush & possible cracking of the sleeve. Usually give a little wriggle during the lift. Some are quite stubborn. Have a clean plastic plug ready to stop oil flow while it is out. Also there is a slot in the sleeve which engages a locating dowel - note it's position during the removal. :drinkup

  3. #3Axel2015-03-12 19:42

    Thanks, I plan to try it when I get back in a few days... if there is no oil escaping with the spool out can I still expect any once the sleeve is removed? I did just reseal the control valve spools so there is much less oil in the system anyways, also the tank is empty. That is why I decide to redo these seals(before I put everything back together and refill the system).

  4. #4Axel2015-03-15 18:30

    It worked! Thanks alrman. I cut a piece of EPDM roofing and wrapped it around the "sleeve" so that the vice grip had less chance to scar the surface. also kept the spool inside the sleeve while squeezing so that the sleeve wouldn't have a chance to collapse. Had to use a long screw driver to pry under the vice grip. tomorrow I plan to put everything else back together and see how she runs, hopefully the neutral is not out of adjustment...