Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat 743 water pump pulley

Kalashnikov ยท 2013-09-30 15:56

The water pump pulley sheared off 3 bolts and tore up 3 of the 4 mounting holes the other day. Water pump spins fine and alternator spins fine. I had just adjusted the belt a couple hours before this happened after having the alternator loosen up and having the belt come off. I have not been able to find another pulley. It's got the V1702 Kubota in it and is an early style machine from the late 80s or early 90s I believe. 3600hrs approximately. I'd rather get a new pulley before fixing the old one so I don't have to worry about having it out of round and bent chewing up belt or pumps.

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2013-09-30 20:19

    Do you know WHY this happened? Does not seem like a "normal" failure. I'm wondering because we have a sister to yours.

  2. #2Kalashnikov2013-10-01 03:47

    I haven't found a reason why yet. The only thing that would come to mind are the bolts being loose or the belt being too tight. Considering what's still threaded in the pump flange is still tight, I don't think loose bolts on the puey caused it. I didn't go crazy on the belt either and it's not the first time I've adjusted it so I can't see that being the cause either.

  3. #3Bobcatdan2013-10-01 06:13

    I've had a couple break on new skids with Kubota V3300. No go reason why. I've replaced them with no further problems. That pulley should be easy to fine.

  4. #4Kalashnikov2013-10-01 13:59

    I just ordered one from Bobcat $23. Thanks for the info Bobcatdan. Seems like a strange thing to happen but I'm glad it's just "normal wear."