I have a Case 1845C that will not shut off when you cut the key off but shuts off on its on while trying to use it. The solenoid on the back of the fuel control seems to be allowing the arm to come forward shutting the fuel off. I know this because when it starts to idle down I can push the lever back and it will run for a brief time. I checked the voltage in the connector from the relay to the solenoid and have voltage but it shows a (-12v) and I know that can't be right. I can't find a wiring diagram on line anywhere so I need any help I can get!!!
If that's a cummins with an inline pump, then the weak solenoid is notorious. I'd venture into the second generation dodge ram forums and see if you find your problem and solution (if that's the engine/pump)
Welcome to HEF seeinc! Check your wiring. 3 wires at plug at solenoid. Power with key at run position, Power with key at start position, ground. The solenoids sometimes stick & need a little lube under the rubber boot. But if yours is shutting down while in use you likely have a wiring issue. Make sure plugs are tight & wriggle harness while checking the 'run' power.
I am not sure what engine is in it I will check
Don't bother, follow alfman's advice, he's the case expert. The weak solenoid on the cummins is typically a not starting problem. sorry, that's Mr. ALRMAN
Thanks for the reply! All of the connections are tight and clean. I am not sure how the solenoid works but my assumption is that power holds the shut off lever open and when you cut the switch off the solenoid releases and allows the shut off lever to close. With the engine running if you stand there and watch it the shut off lever slowly works its way to the shut off position. If the engine is running and I cut the switch off it just keeps running. This is a problem that just started I have owned this skidsteer for 5 years and have never had this problem. The wires coming from the solenoid are coming from a relay. Is there a way I can check the relay and the solenoid?
From what you are describing the electrics are working & the solenoid is sticking. Try the lube under the boot & into the solenoid.
Ok I'll try it and let you know. Thanks