Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 751 F Skid Steer– Replacing Hydraulic Line (from pump to filter)

Lee_in_Georgia · 2021-08-10 07:21

I’m about to replace a hydraulic line that runs from the hydraulic filter to the backside of the hydrostatic pump. It looks like it’s going to be a PITA, so I was hoping somebody out there might have done this and could share any pointers they have picked up. For the end connected to the hydraulic filter, it looks like I’ll have to remove the filter mounting block and then disconnect the hose. I can’t see any way to get a wrench in there otherwise. The other end (connected to the pump) is where I really have questions. There’s not much room back there and you can’t see it without a mirror. My first take is that the exhaust manifold, fan, and one rigid cooling line will have to be removed to gain access to be able to remove and install that end of the hose. Maybe a crow’s foot, cutoff wrench, or something would do it… but it still looks like it’ll be difficult to get enough leverage on the tool (as it’ll have to be really short) to tighten the line back up. Hopefully, somebody will have done this and can give me some advice… thanks in advance for your help!

Replies6
  1. #1Txhayseed2021-08-10 13:58

    Changing any hard lines on most bobcats is not fun. I have a whole drawer of cheap china wrenches that ive heated and bent into different shapes to reach into places I Also use long blunt air hammer bit a lot. You could also use a long rod. You can catch the flat side of the fitting at an angle and hit with a hammer to break the fitting loose. There are no real secrets I know of other than getting in there and just making it happen.. Some busted knuckles.. Little cussin.. Throw a few wrenches at it.. Then before you know it your done

  2. #2Lee_in_Georgia2021-08-10 15:48

    Txhayseed... Good to know I wasn't crazy when I thought: this is gonna be a real pain. I was hoping maybe there was a magical access panel I hadn't found. When discussing how long it would take with the owner I was explaining that these little loaders are built like tanks, but made to fit through the average fence gate. All of which makes them hard to work on any part that's not right on the surface of the unit. Thanks for the good advice and especially the laugh. Guess it's time to get out the torch and/or grinder and make some tools. And practice cussin.

  3. #3Vetech632021-08-10 16:10

    A air hammer with a chisel bit is your best friend on this kind of crap for removal. Angle wrenches or crows feet for install are your next best friends.

  4. #4Lee_in_Georgia2021-08-10 17:46

    Vetech63.... thanks for the help! This is in a blind area, so I guess use a mirror to position the air hammer? Or just feel for it?

  5. #5Vetech632021-08-11 07:49

    In a blind spot I feel them out........just watch your fingers and don't go all full trigger on that air hammer. Once you get the nut untorqued off the threads you should be able to unscrew it by hand.

  6. #6Lee_in_Georgia2021-08-11 09:09

    Vetech63.... good to know... sounds like a job that will be a major pain in the field, so I'll bring it into the shop. I'll post once I'm into it. Thanks!