Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 853 axle bearing help

70chall440 ยท 2021-08-09 00:34

So my 853 is leaking from 2 wheels (left front and right rear) and I am pretty sure it needs bearings in the left front. I decided to start with the right rear thinking it would be an "easy" fix by just replacing the seal. Well after a lot of work to get the flange off (required 2 bottle jacks) and I see that the axle has a lot of play in it, up/down and in/or which makes me suspect the bearings are toast. I checked the other wheels and all but one (right front) has movement (in/out). So my questions are; 1. can anyone confirm that the in/out probably means new bearings? 2. the manual shows pressing the bearings on but I cannot see how that would work 3. in order to get to the chain case for the rear axles, I have to remove the cover however there are 2 large hydraulic lines over it which it appears will have to be removed to get access I appreciate any assistance/advice anyone can give

Replies4
  1. #170chall4402021-08-09 13:51

    No 853 owners out there?

  2. #270chall4402021-08-10 16:40

    Anyone have any advice on how to get the sprocket bolts tight? The manual says 450-575 ft lbs and in the back especially there isn't a lot of room to work. I am thinking a crows foot wrench or something.

  3. #3Midnightmoon2021-08-10 18:23

    Wrench to hold bolt torque wrench and adapter to torque at lug nut side

  4. #470chall4402021-08-10 21:27

    Thanks, I would have to have the chain off the axle I was tightening plus on the 853 there are 3 1/2" bolts on the hub side so I am not sure exactly if I could generate 500 ft lbs there.