Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 753 starting/moving issues

JoshLheureux · 2019-01-24 12:08

I have a bobcat 753. Vin # 512722103 that when I turn the key it makes a slight click then nothing. I tap the starter solenoid while my wife cranks it and it fires right up. When lap bar makes contact I lose all power to the interlock control system until I tap solenoid again. Didn’t know if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks for any advice. Josh

Replies8
  1. #1LOX2019-01-25 16:29

    Hey Josh, been doing a heap of work on a old 753 myself, I found the fuse box on mine was giving me heaps of trouble, the fuses were all fine but there must have been corrosion on the contacts for the fuses, I was getting low voltages and low current draws through the circuits. I eventually isolated the circuits that were giving me grief for the Interlock and put inline fuses in, problems solved. It was hard to track at first as I did have 12v to most solenoid but the current was obviously restricted, could be a starting point for you, good luck, cheers Lox

  2. #2tpcrank2019-01-26 06:43

    I'm having cold start problems. Got new battery but still times out when turning the key. Called dealer and they say couldbe controller. Is the panel where key start is at the controller and where is fusebox located on 753g model? Thanks.

  3. #3LOX2019-01-26 18:05

    Fusebox should be under your knees, behind the little hump there. As I said, I found it was susceptible to corrosion, with the contact to relays and fuses being suspect. There is a start relay which powers the starter motor solenoid and glow relay for the glow plugs. I was swapping out relays to isolate dead relays or dodgie contacts for those relays. Just a process of elimination, keep swapping bits till something happens. As I said I think the bigger issue is the fact that current is restricted, the voltage will read 12v but current flow is low, hence the issues with the BICS and so on, it seems to compound causing other issues. Do you have a wiring diagram? This will help heaps. I can get some pics of my manual if that helps. As for the control box, it is under the seat to the right as you look in on the side. There are about 4 plugs going into it from memory, completely sealed unit so nothing you can check there that I can see. When you say it times out what do mean?

  4. #4tpcrank2019-01-27 13:34

    Turn key on and engine turns over for a few seconds then stops and a warning buzzer comes on and it stops turning starter over.

  5. #5willie592019-01-27 14:35

    That warning buzzer, does it beep 3 times after the engine dies or is it one long beep?

  6. #6tpcrank2019-02-02 07:26

    Three beeps. Talked to a mechanic and it could be a combination of fuses and throttle. He said to look at fuses and wire the throttle on back of engine open. It is probably timing out due to the fuel linkage in back.

  7. #7willie592019-02-02 19:35

    Those three beeps is the main controller telling you it's seeing active faults. Right then at that moment, before you do anything else, push and hold down the headlight button, this will bring up the fault code(s) in the hour meter display. If you turn off the ignition everything resets.

  8. #8tpcrank2019-02-03 05:27

    Got it running by wiring fuel shut off solenoid open but I'll have to try holding the headlight button because it still shows a red diamond warning light. Going to check out fuse box anyway too. Is it ok to put silicone around fuse box cover or does it need to breath? Thank you for your help.