Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257b manual fuel filter priming

garrettmcdnaiel ยท 2019-01-25 20:11

Looked all over web, changed filter and proceeded to prime with little butterfly right above filter but it doesn't do anything. i'm about to blow my ******* brains out, i know it's something simple

Replies17
  1. #1Bls repair2019-01-25 22:36

    Is it a canister filter? Did you fill it with fuel first ,if not it takes for ever to fill . When pumping did you feel resistance?

  2. #2garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-25 23:42

    I first tried without adding fuel first but added it after many failed attempts because I got so fed up with it. First empty I tried to priming for many minutes and not a drop came out, there is resistance only through about half the stroke of the primer. I then filled the filter with diesel and still nothing. Was running fine before

  3. #3phil3142019-01-26 08:55

    Looks like a mechanical pump run off the engine. Sometimes they stop on the top of the lobe that makes them pump. When this happens, the prime lever doesn't pump. Since the pump is already stroked. Try turning the engine over 1/2 a turn, either bump it with the key or turn by hand. Then try the priming pump again. You should feel more resistance.

  4. #4garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 13:18

    Still nothing, if I take the filter off and prime should fuel be coming out. Or do I need to bleed a valve?

  5. #5phil3142019-01-26 13:30

    Looks like the pump line goes right to the filter. So if you take the filter off (or disconnect the line coming out of the pump) and use the prime lever. You should get fuel coming out. I'm assuming the tank has diesel in it. If you take the rubber line off do you get fuel out? Is it possible the lift pump is bad?

  6. #6garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 14:25

    There is diesel I checked lines was able to pull out of both. Can't upload video but, with filter off manual pump not doing anything, and with fuel pump line disconnected I tried to turn it over and it was pushing diesel out while it was cranking if that makes sense 5596750196

  7. #7kshansen2019-01-26 14:26

    Did cranking the engine over some as phil314 suggested make any change in the feeling when working that lever by hand? Sometimes on pump like that it takes a couple tries to get the lever that rides on the lobe on the cam into a position where you can get a good full stroke. Not to sound stupid but why did you change the filter? Was machine starting and running fine or was it because you were having a problem with it not running right or starting hard? If it was running fine then pump should be good, but still possible that it is bad. If you were having problems and changed filter thinking it was plugged then maybe the pump was the problem all along. And do take phil314 suggestions of things to try before thinking the pump is the only possibility as a perfect pump won't pump fuel if there is no fuel in tank or a line is plugged.

  8. #8garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 14:35

    Slow cranking does improve manual pump resistance but even at best still no fuel. Changing all filters because they have not been done since I purchased and not sure when they were done last, also had been bogging on power when going forward up steep slopes (that came on recently). But has always started fine. I syphoned fuel out of both lines (manual lead and fuel pump lead) maybe my primer pump is bad but I would assume my fuel pump should kick fuel out when cranking?

  9. #9phil3142019-01-26 17:01

    I'm starting to think you have a bad lift pump. If they get a small hole in the diaphragm, they may still pump but not as much fuel as they should. First sign is your machine will bog or hiccup, usually at full power. But the machine will still start and run because you have no air in the system. However after changing the filter, you now have air in the lines. It will be very difficult to bleed the system because hand priming is a lot slower action than pumping with the engine running. And you aren't getting as much fuel pumped as you should. It sounds like you get fuel out as long as there is no restriction - open lines. But as soon as you hook stuff up, any restriction prevents the pump from pushing fuel through. At least that my thought at the moment. What is the black cap on top of the fuel/water separator housing?

  10. #10garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 17:39

    Not sure what it is That is a possibility at full throttle I would hit a steep hill and it would bog

  11. #11kshansen2019-01-26 19:26

    Maybe I missed it but did you post a S/N for the machine and if there is one on the engine post that too. Thing is I have spent a bit of time on SIS looking at 257B engine's fuel system and I have not found a pump like that in the picture you posted and also the ones I have looked at show a primary filter that has a pump plunger in the top where you took off that black plastic cap. I'm even wondering if this is the original engine in the machine.

  12. #12garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 19:58

    I'm going to have a helper tomorrow to crank while I can evaluate further from the back. Also should i dump fuel out of new filter, or just start with a fresh filter. now that i'm passed the pissed off stage I'm worried about the fact i filled the new filter with diesel after all the failed attempts.

  13. #13phil3142019-01-26 20:42

    Well here's a perkins lift pump. Looks the similar enough. https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-108-fuel-lift-pump-kit/ If you are getting fuel out of the rubber line going TO the lift pump. And you disconnect the line coming OUT of the lift pump. And then move the priming lever up and down, you should get a decent amount of fuel coming out. If you only get a little, then your lift pump is probably bad. They aren't that expensive either. When my lift pump went bad, it acted like I ran it out of diesel. I tried priming it and I couldn't. It would pump out a little fuel, but no where near what it should. I put a new lift pump on and the difference was night and day. Every time the prime handle moved, I got a decent stream of diesel. Don't worry about pre-filling the filter. Just try to be clean about it if you have to. It's ok on the older mechanical pump engines. They don't have the tight tolerences of newer machines. On the newer machine and especially common rail engines - Never pre fill the filter. They need clean fuel and all fuel should go through the filter first.

  14. #14garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 20:55

    awesome thank you so much i'm going to order one right now. just strange it was running before i removed old filter and now it won't but maybe it was just barely running. will lines need to be bled after installing new pump?

  15. #15garrettmcdnaiel2019-01-26 21:58

    Holy **** I got it!! All it was is I lost the prime through the lift pump. I unscrewed hard line on exit side and syphoned fuel through it and then the hand pump started spitting fuel out yay! The position of the crank definitely made a big difference, at first it wouldn't pump, I cycled the key once still nothing then again and I had a good pull off the hand pump. I then removed Hardline off exit side of fuel filter, pumped it and then it started pumping diesel out there and I knew I had it. Connected that back and about 5 pumps later it was hard, and it fired right up after a couple seconds. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR IMPUT. I'm so stoked right now, onto the other filters

  16. #16kshansen2019-01-27 10:15

    Well I see you finally got it running but for future reference for yourself and others. First off the S/N was very helpful. The actual S/N is CMM01215 Cat likes to confuse things by those extra numbers and letters! For future reference here is the "As Built" information off SIS: PS for anyone not familiar with the way Cat shows dates it is: DAY/MONTH/YEAR And here is what I found after a bit of digging on the air in fuel that was causing the problem of not starting, not sure why it was not included in the "Change Filter" section of the maintenance manual!

  17. #17StanBall2023-09-22 16:37

    I found this post yesterday after spending about 5 hours working on my Cat 287B. I know this is an older post but I just wanted to say thanks for leaving it up. This information worked perfectly and I was up and running in about 30 minutes once I deployed the solutions in this post.