Looking for some help. I have a Bobcat 753 with the Kubota 4cylinder diesel engine, with foot and hand controls. Here's my issue: engine rolls over but will not start, primier bulb is collapsed. I have been told it could be the pickup tube in the tank. I have no idea how to access this area and would like some help from all you DIY professionals.
Welcome to HEF 65Chevy. It depends on whether you have a C, F, or G series machine. Is the fuel tank mounted behind the seat, or underneath the engine? Does it have rectangular headlights, or triangle shaped headlights? If the primer bulb is sucked flat you definitely have a clogged pick up tube in the tank.
If your 753's fuel tank is like this: (yellow arrow points to fuel tank) then you need to pull the engine... good news is it's easier to pull than some of the others
Have you tried blowing air back through the fuel line? behind the primer bulb of course. If that gets the fuel to run then stop, and suck the fuel out of the tank, hopefully getting the offending garbage out.
no need to remove the tank, and dont blow back through the suction hose. there is a check valve on the end of the hose inside the tank that needs to be there to prevent fuel from draining back to the tank. raise the boom, install the boom lock, raise the cab. at the RF of the fuel tank, just in front of, or slightly under the pumps you'll find the fuel suction hose attached to an elbow. under the rear of the machine there is a rectangular cover w/ 3 bolts. remove it the fuel tank drain is located there. take a trip to your favorite bobcat dealer pick up 2 new grommets, suction screen, clamps, and hose. parts are approx $25-$30 :drinkup
You guys are the best. I will try these suggestions and let you all know how it goes
The headlights are rectangular and the fuel tank is located behind the seat with the fuel fill on the right side.
Ok, so here I am out in the shop, just me. So before I make a big mistake let me ask you guys this, which line is the one with the fuel pickup on it. There are two lines with 90's. One is located at the front of the tank, let's call this one hose Closest to the seat. The other is just about 1/2 inch and to the left toward the engine or back of the machine. So which one do I remove. Remember it's just me, otherwise I would just have someone tug on it and figure it out that way. Thanks for all the help
If the fuel tank is mounted behind the seat then that's a 753 C series machine. If I'm correct, let's start back at the engine and go backwards. Fuel supply line goes from the engine (fuel lift pump) back to a "piece of crap" CAV fuel filter unit (hidden in behind the coolant recovery bottle on right side). From that CAV filter unit, fuel supply line goes up the right side of the machine to an inline shutoff valve (access through hole in bottom rear of cab on right side). Once you find that shutoff valve, follow the supply line from there to the top of the tank, that will tell you which one is the fuel supply line at tank.
Then again, maybe I was reading that wrong and the fuel tank is under the engine. With rectangular headlights, that would be a 753 F series. I checked the service manual, it shows the two fittings in the tank, one for pick up and one for return, but it does not distinguish which is which. I say wing it and go for the on closest to the front of the machine, but that's just a guess. :beatsme
Thanks Willie. I will try that and see. Once I change this will there be air in the line and if so do I prime the bulb and keep crankin' or ? Just wondering and anticipating possible scenarios. And why in the hell don't they have a drain hole for all the dirt, mud, leaves, water, and sticks in the belly. Removed the side panels in between the wheel wells on each side but the. When I wash it it will be full of muddy water. Anyway, gonna order parts tomorrow and go from there. Thanks again guys
I'm having the same problem with my 753 right now. At first I thought it was the 9 year old walmart battery so I replaced it, no luck. Then I checked the squezee bulb and it was not pressurized. I replaced the 10 year old fuel filter and that seemed to straighten up everything and all worked well for about an hour! Then it died again right in the middle of our rural drive way. I just hate that kind of crapola! When I checked the squezee ball again I couldn't pressurize it and could hear air being sucked inside the tank. Sounds like the tube has broken off right at the top. Problem is that I'm at least 70 miles away from a dealer. So, Ebay here I come. Ok, here is my question, I have the tank underneath the engine, do I need the 21 inch tube kit or the 12 inch tube kit? Anybody done this before? Last about priming. If you look at the pix about there is a small brass pressure release screw on top of the fuel filter bracket. Just open that screw and prime until fuel comes out, then close it. Some engines, Kubota have a small pressure release valve right at the beginning of the steel lines that feed the cylinders, I open that too and pump like hell until my had hurts, then close. Do it in this order, first filter then main supply line valve. Then you should be able to fire it right up. I know some one is going to ask? how did I get it back to the shop from the driveway. Well, that is why God created rednecks!!!! Took a 5 gallon diesel can with a just a couple of gallons in it and hung it off the back of the door with a fuel line run from the squezee bulb to the fuel can. Wasn't pretty but it worked. yeah, willie59, you just get a bobcat clean-er!!!!
Ok, went slicker than snot! The fuel pipe is located in an easy to get place right under the seat, raised the forks and the seat and got right to it. I slipped the gromet down on the pipe a little for easier install then pushed the metal elbow into it. Turns out that mine uses the 12 inch pipe, tank is directly under the engine. got a good price from allskidsteers.com something like $18.90 including ship.
by the way, it had broke off right at the 90 degree brass fitting inside the tank, that is why I could hear it when squezing the primer bulb.
Good to hear you got it sorted out lonfu. :drinkup
Thought I'd mention, the reason that you don' t blow air back through the fuel line is that there is a brass check valve on the very end of the fuel pickup pipe and it closes when the engine stops, so if you try to clear the line then you will just blow the check valve off into the tank or break an already weak fuel pickup pipe. It was my first inclination too but thought better of it due to my experiances with in tank fuel pumps.
I have a 1999 model 753 that says "Advantage" on the sides of the Bobcat. I've had it for 12 years and use it on an as-needed basis. First Have no idea what model it is but serial # is*515835008* and recently it quit on me. Couldn't figure what the problem was because tank showed full, but when we put a gallon of diesel in it it started. Had it up in the mountains of Sierra where I had just bought a truck & trailer of 3/4" road base and it quit after moving a few bucketloads. Put about a gallon of fuel in it to fill it and it would run until that gallon went out! So after the reading this thread I'm reasonably sure, but not "assuming" (because you know what that does!!?) that it is the hose going into the tank. My dilemma: I don't know what model this is and if being a different model letter does that change the location of the supply line from the tank! FYI when I bought this it had 400+ hours and it now has only 999. hours, so I've only put about 600 hours on it, or my friends and I have. YOu know what happens when your friends find out you have a skidsteer!!! I am in the coin operated car wash business and have to pump the mud from the sumps, then dump it out from the pumper and then spread it around to dry and that's what the Bobcat is used for. I thoroughly enjoy this machine and love working on it, but first I need to know where to put the wrench on the first bolt! I'm 82 and still working and love it, but have learned not to grab a wrench before I know what to do with it. Thanks in advance for your help and support! :notworthy
Help.... Heck, I thought I was old at 62!!! still fixing my play toys...... Ok, there are 2 kinds of tanks, one like I have on my 2001 and then there is the other kind behind the seat. May I suggest you call these folks, they were super helpful in getting me the correct part for my unit. http://stores.allskidsteers.com/fuel-tank-pickup-screen-for-bobcat-skid-steers-k-6650239-12/ Again, call them first, they may be able to tell you exactly where the tank is and how to access it. Save you some time, I think of it like an old guy thing (-: That said, I had to lift my cab up and I could get to the top of the tank and pull the old unit out, only about 1/3 of it was left dangling so the rest is still in the tank. It was not that tough. Here is the bad news, eventually the rest of it will rot off and it won't run at all, so don't waste time not fixing it. Moving these things with a tow truck is no fun....
Lonfu, thank you for the quick reply. Will call them tomorrow. :drinkup
Butts, balls and batteries.... When I was a youngster, about 18 or so there was this old cranky mechanic in our shop. You, know the type, face looks like a worn out leather seat, he wreaks of engine smells even when he has freshly bathed and always looks greasy. When he'd work, I'd swear he'd sweat 3 in 1 oil! Took a bit of wrenching with him but I finally earned my box ends with him! Every once in a while he'd stop and go hit the head right in the middle of putting stuff back together. He wouldn't wash his hands before going into the pot. It was always when we were putting an engine together or rebuilding a power steering pump or something like that. He'd come out with a smile on his face and for while I assumed he was taking a dump. Finally one day he comes out, I must have a bad look on my face because he looks at me with a smile and says, "it's a miracle, petroleum jelly", and holds his index finger up, "Good for Butts, Balls and Batteries." So, being young, dumb and full of ..........:Banghead, I had to ask him what he meant. I got this one hour lecture about the uses of "miracle petroleum jelly" so now after 40 plus years when ever I go to put something together I still think of his s.... eating smile when he came out with his finger up!!!!! I still use petroleum jelly for all of my assembly work, I use it on my battery terminals on everything after attaching them and I use it on my ball bearings in the hot weather. So, use some when trying to force the rubber grommet with the fuel pipe back in. Put some on the grommet, install, then put some on the pipe, install. Don't need a big goober, just coat it like you would your balls
Likely not a C series, they were earlier in the 90's. Most likely an F series, I think the G series didn't come out until somewhere in 2000. Easy to tell the difference, F series has rectangle shaped headlights, G series has triangle shaped headlights.
"advantage series" part of the marketing of those machines it really doesnt mean much of anything.. well except to the marketing dept :drinkup
Lonfu, have the bobcat in my shop and after lifting up the cage, found the gas tank and it's under the motor, but the fuel elbow that I needed to get to was in an open enough space to get to it, and it was broken off right at the base of the elbow. I picked up the hose & filter locally. My question is should I worry about the broken hose that was left in the tank??
i dont worry about the broken hose.... i know of machines with several broken hoses in the tank..... :drinkup
Ah thank you crew chief888 then we're good to go. I thought about this after we put the new one in!!:drinkup