HI, New to the site and hoping for a little help. I purchased a Case 70XT for what appeared to be a fair price at the time, unfortunetly after turning a few wrenches to straighten some minor things up, im still having issues. When you first start it up, it appears to drive and turn okay (a little sluggish compared to an 85 or 95 machine, but i realize thay are larger and more powerful) However, once you run it for 15 or 20 minutes, it begins to loose all drive and steer power and can hardly turn out of its own way. This issue appears to be the same for both the left and right drive, forwards or reverse and eventually gets to where it wont hardly move at all. Another thing i have noticed is that the loader arms drift down very quick, im not usre if this could be related to the drive issues or not?? (I believe they are different systems?) Trying to think of all possible issues, im not too sure of the hydraulic configuration or how things exactly work, but knowing that it has left and right drive motors im a little skeptical if these could both be bad? This leads me to believe its possibly a pump issue? but im also thinking these have too pumps, left and right so thats got me puzzled as well. doing some research on this issue, i have found that the first most common thing to do is check pump pressure. is there any chance someone can offer a little guidance on that? what to block off if needed and where to tap a guage in? I have also read about control and/or relief valve issues? could this be a common problem that i may have? the filters were changed with new oil but still having issues? any help would be apprecited. thanks for your time and input.
Does the machine have pilot controls?
A 70XT is mechanical/servo. It has the same engine as a 90 and 95XT. The 70XT and 440 are for their size, the most powerful skid steers available currently. You can spin these machines with a full load on asphalt or concrete with zero effort. Yours obviously has an issue. I have had both machines (much the same) and never had this issue. I cant speak to what is wrong, although I would guess a drive motor or hyd. pump.
As far as the loader arms drifting down, they just need repacking. The drive problem will take a little troubleshooting. My guess is twofold, 1 is that the seals on the servo pistons are wore out and 2 the piston slipper support pivot and ring are wore. The reason is that the oil viscosity is a little heavier when cold thus less leakage past the servo pistons. And with the support ring and pivot being worn you are low on flow to begin with. Not a tough job to repair the pumps but you need to work clean and inspect everything while you have it apart. Also pull the drain plugs on both chain cases to make sure you don't have motor seals leaking. The pump has to be removed to get at the motors so it only makes sense to do them then.
Thanks for all the input. I was directing that way but just wanted a little input before digging too deep.. But unfortunately I think I'll be digging even deeper now. Few other things I noticed tonight trying to use it to get a few things done tonight.... I used it for about 40 minutes, fairly hard, and the high fluid light and warning went off. I'm kind of hoping or assuming this may be caused from the leak by? Causing it to overheat? Not sure if that makes since or not? Also, are the pumps rebuildable? Is it cost friendly that way? Or purchase reman'd or new? Thanks again for all the help! Greatly appreciated.......
I would go remain. CASE provides these with warranty, I think they a good value. As to your light going off. There is no high fluid light on the machine. These machines do not have a level sensor in the hyd. tank. Not sure what light your referring to, perhaps the charge pressure light?
billg, thanks for the info... im a little foreign on all the terms, but really wanting to understand what your saying so im going to be totally green for this question: The "servo pistons" and the "piston slipper support pivot and ring"... are these all parts of the drive pump? or multiple components? i did a little interweb reasearch and see they relate to pumps, but im wondering if they are all part of the drive pumps or the drive motors? you also mention that its not a tough repair but clean work is required... that can be handled... gathering the correct parts might be... any chance you would have a contact or somehting for that? thanks up front for the input.
KSS and Mike, thanks for the input as well, KSS: as for the machine, size wise for what i use it for is great... i dont contract with it, just farm use so its not a major necessety to have at the moment, but a missed one. i will do some reasearch on cost of new.... but since its not a major need t the moment, i may look into rebuilding as an option. Mikebramel: i got to show my greeness again on your question about pilot controls. im going to say no as i have never ran a machine with pilot controls so i cant say i would even know how to tell the difference??? sorry for my dumbness, i dont know. it has the left and right sticks, push forward and back to move and turn, shift out and in on left to raise/lower and on right to roll bucket.
Hello majorpup, did you figure if the problem is the pump as billg thought? I have a 70xt with the same drive problem
mowerys, i honestly have not had a chance to dig into it yet. i need to do a little more reasearch, i want to check pressures (but not exactly sure where to hook up at) and see if that gives me any indication. i have talked with a lot of people... some are saying tandem pump issues, some are saying i might have a bad valve. i need to make another call to the service tech to see if he can give me any input as well..... i will let you know is i get any more information. good luck with yours.....
majorpup, thanks for the response. i talked to the local case service tech and he didn't provide much help. i spoke to a mcallister tech and he was much more helpful. he had me purchase a wet hydraulic gauge (about $25 for the gauge and fitting). Starting with hydraulics cold sitting overnight, attach the gauge to the top of the tandem pump (under the seat). There's a small quick connect coupler, I just removed the quick coupler and attached the gauge with an adapter. Then start the skiddy and let it idle. The tech didn't know what pressure it should be but said it would probably be around 300ppsi cold. Then to get it hot and check it again. and if it dropped down much it was probably the pump. so that's what i did and it read just shy of 300psi when cold at idle. Then I drove it around and got it hot and checked it again. This time it read 0 psi at idle. So I'm guessing the tech is correct and its the pump...
curious where you got the gauge? i have been busy with work so mine has sat. i would like to check the psi on mine and see what i come up with. thanks for the input......
I purchased a gauge at a local hydraulic shop for about $25. I was told at idle the pump should be reading 300 psi. Mine was lower and once it got hot it went to 0. So I purchased a reman pump from Loader Parts Source online. They have sent me two bad pumps in a row, I strongly recommend just buying one from Case. I'm still fighting with them to send me another one, if I had to do over I would definitely buy from Case and not Loader Parts Source. I'm tired of taking these pumps in and out. The first pump they sent me wasn't even bolted together, I didn't realize it until it was installed and spraying fluid everywhere. lol. The second pump is a little low on pressure but works until I start working it hard such as pushing dirt then it get hot and loses all pressure. Loader Parts thinks the pump is the problem too but its hard to get any help from them and they never call me back. Good luck