Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 753G – hyd oil turned milky???

inane222 · 2019-11-05 10:09

Good morning all, Working on my 02' 753. Fan gearbox was leaking and left pintle seal was leaking. New seals, o-rings and a speedy sleeve later and I'm back in business. I already had an engine jig for a 763 so I ended up pulling the motor and fuel tank out and giving this thing a proper cleaning. Years of gunk from those seals leaking and neglect from the previous owner. Got the motor back in and everything fired right up. Got all of the creep out thanks to some wonderful help I found here. Probably put 5 hours on it now and when I re-checked the hdy fluid, it's milky, almost like coffee with way too much creamer. Took the breather cap and strainer out of the tank, shined a light down in there and the whole fluid reservoir is like that. While the bobcat was down, I did: left and right pintle seals and o-rings, new drain case filters on both sides, new fitting on left drive motor (broke while changing drain case filter), new hydraulic filter and I ended up putting right at 5 gallons of hydraulic oil in it. Took about 3.5 gallons to get it up on the stick before I started it and after starting it and cycling everything, I ended up adding about another 1.5 gallons. Using Traveller 10W30 motor oil from Tractor Supply for the hydraulic oil. Every connection was capped off while the motor was out, both on the machine and on the engine. Hydraulics are running fine and everything is quiet. Didn't have any of this milky condition prior to pulling the engine. I see that air or water are the usual suspects. I don't think water is my problem unless some snuck in during the cleaning process (using an electric pressure washer). I guess I need to drain / refill the resevoir and try to clean this out. Thinking about going to an AW32 or 46 this time around and ditching the 10W30. Any thoughts, suggestions or tips from the pros here on the forum?

Replies2
  1. #1Rob Gunn2019-11-05 14:21

    Sounds like water issue to me but thats just a guess. Only way to be sure is send a sample out to be tested.

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-11-05 17:26

    DON'T use a straight hydraulic oil. It is not recommended for hydrostatic transmissions. A universal tractor fluid would be better. https://www.loaderpartssource.com/kbase/Videos/Type_of_Hydraulic_oil_used_in_skidsteer.html