Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 763 acts like it runs out of fuel

waynard · 2023-12-17 18:30

My bobcat will run fine for a while then start sputtering and quit or just quit from high rpm to no rpm for no apparent reason. At times it will miss badly and just barely run. I thought it might be the fuel pump, so I bypassed it and replaced it with an electric pump. I also put check valves in the fuel line. Left the fuel cap cracked in case of vent issue. I replaced the fuel filter, checked all the lines for air or fuel leaks. Sometimes I can use the squeeze bulb, pump it up and it will start but not run for long. I am out of ideas. Could it be the injector pump? Intermittent like that? How can I test that? Any ideas appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2023-12-17 19:13

    Does that unit have a fuel solenoid that is dropping out. Is there lots of fuel coming out of filter before going into the transfer pump when you put air with a rag over fuel tank opening while putting 1-2 psi in tank. If it doesn't pour out full stream into a pail you have a supply problem. That needs to be verified as I have seen tanks with plastic blocking off the fuel outlet. Very inexpensive test to make sure. Simon C

  2. #2grandpa2023-12-17 19:26

    Check the fuel line pickup line inside of the tank. They are notorious for giving problems.

  3. #3Toddgarage2023-12-17 21:10

    Had a Deere 17G that was transported to us by an independent guy. For a year the machine would run, but bog down under load. The fuel valve on the water separator was in the off position. Either the transport company had a policy to turn off the fuel valve, or the previous mechanic turned it off for service… check the most basic things first. I don’t know the specifics of your machine. But some pumps have filter screens in banjo bolts or inlet ports on the high pressure pump. Be safe

  4. #4Coaldust2023-12-17 21:12

    Do a quick search and find the bobcat fuel tank pickup thread. Everything you need to know about fixing your machine.

  5. #5waynard2023-12-17 22:59

    tnx, I have already replaced the pickup tube a while back as the original tube fell into the tank.

  6. #6waynard2023-12-17 23:00

    I will check that tomorrow. tnx for the tip

  7. #7IceHole2023-12-18 02:23

    That run the Kubota or Douche engine?

  8. #8Vetech632023-12-18 08:56

    V1702 Kubota I think. The fuel primer bulb already has check valves in each end. They are notorious for getting debris lodged in one and causing lack of fuel pressure build up.