Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299d unexpected motor speed detection disable

Rmaricle · 2023-12-18 10:31

Hello new to the forum having issue with my cat 299d code that’s coming up is 8 volt system low also following only while moving forward or reverse code e695-3 I replaced and cleaned the speed sensors and plugs even under the cab still having the issue and it also shuts down the mulcher when this happens any info would be great thanks fd201517

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2023-12-18 11:10

    What's your 8v Code.? 0041-3, 4, or what.? Most probably 0041-4. Post up what it is and I'll post up the troubleshooting procedure. You will need to chase that down first because that's what powers the speed sensors. If they lose power, even if it's only for a split second, all sorts of weird stuff can happen.

  2. #2Rmaricle2023-12-18 12:30

    41-4

  3. #3Nige2023-12-18 13:26

    Here you go. You'll also need an electrical schematic. Check your messages.

  4. #4Rmaricle2023-12-18 21:33

    Thanks for the info.. So we started with pulling the speed sensors and the right side had oil come out with it the left side sitting in the cab is completely dry is this normal the drive motor did have oil in it when I pulled the center bolt out oil came running out. Could this be my issue?

  5. #5Chrisso2023-12-19 07:56

    It won't be the reason you're losing the 8v sensor supply circuit. Is this an intermittent issue? Ie is that 41-4 code always active, or does doing a particular thing make it active, or is it completely random. If random/intermittent, let us know, you're in for some wire testing. If it's always active, the procedure Nige posted above is what you need to be running through.

  6. #6Chrisso2023-12-19 08:05

    Is your alternator charging?

  7. #7Rmaricle2023-12-19 09:06

    Alternator is charging good. The 41-4 code is only active when the e695-3 code is active

  8. #8Nige2023-12-19 09:33

    So what you have in this case is that the speed sensors are misbehaving BECAUSE OF the loss of 8v power/41-4 Code. If the sensors have no power, even for a split second, the are not going to work. That is what generates the E695 Event. If as you say the 41-4 comes and goes you are going to be in for some fairly extensive wire testing.

  9. #9Junkyard2023-12-19 10:02

    I’ve chased my tail on these more than once….assuming the schematic is the same as the last machine I worked on the 8v signal to the sensors is also the same that goes to bucket inclinometer. On that machine the inclinometer harness as well as the inclinometer was bad. I don’t recall if I had a code for it or not. The harness was bad where is makes a tight bend as it comes from the coupler into the boom. I’ve also seen the jumper harness on the right side have issues as well causing an interruption in the 8v signal. The troubleshooting procedure will find the fault in most cases, it’s pretty thorough. I also had one that we had to replace machine ECM but it had some other weird issues along with the sensor codes.

  10. #10Nige2023-12-19 10:10

    Good point. Personally I would suggest to temporarily disconnect the inclination sensor - yes it will create a Code but at least you know that you did it - and run the machine. If the 41-4/E695 go away then you need to be troubleshooting the power supply/ground wiring on the inclinometer sensor which is on the same 8v supply as the speed sensors.

  11. #11Tree Mulcher2023-12-19 12:24

    My experience has been that the 8v dc supply code is caused by a ground or short issue lowering the voltage. The most efficient way to find is disconnect portions of the harness to the drive motor sensors/ inclinometer until the 8v dc supply code goes away. When you find the harness section causing the 8v code you likely have isolated the problem. The issue is likely within the problematic section of harness not the sensor. The above referenced procedure it geared to finding a failed sensor. My experience is that the sensors rarely are bad the issue is usually within the harness or connector to a sensor and may not be visible. As referenced above with the harness to inclinometer failed. If you need to run the machine to diagnose an intermittent issue with the drive sensors. If you only have one sensor disconnected in some cases the machine may steer erratically. Disconnecting both sensors lessons these issues on d model machines. I have considered carrying an inventory of the harness sections in the field so that when this problem arises the operator could swap harness sections hopefully addressing the problem on their own without assistance or diagnostic tools in some cases. Additionally, these problems can be greatly reduced by routing the speed sensor wires in the center of the hose bundle to the drive motors. This uses the hoses to protect the wiring significantly reducing issues. Debris likes to beat on this area of harness. Additionally blowing out the debris around the hose connections to the drive motor on a daily basis will reduce this issue. It takes ET to recalibrate the speed sensors. If you find that your problem was not in the speed sensors you can reinstall the old ones in the same location. Make sure the pins are not damaged or loose. Oftentimes there are no ill effects from not calibrating.

  12. #12Nige2023-12-19 13:21

    The 8v supply network is shown on Page 1 of the attachment I posted earlier. Some of them will be extremely difficult to disconnect and the machine to remain in an operable state.

  13. #13Nige2023-12-19 13:30

    I'm not sure that it does. The hystat drive pump and motor solenoids are the ones that need to be calibrated. I know that if any speed sensor sets a Code and is replaced with new then the machine has to move for a certain distance (c. 200ft) in order for the signal from the new sensor to be accepted by the ECM and for the Active 2685/6/7/8 Code to change to a Logged Code.

  14. #14Chrisso2023-12-19 14:57

    That being said, and if the E695 events are the ONLY events showing up, one would assume the issue lies within the speed sensor wiring after it departs from the main harness. I'd start with disconnecting a speed sensor at the speed sensor, key on, stick your multimeter into the supply & return (should get something close to 8v) and wiggle the wires. Look for changes in voltage. Failing that you're running new dummy wires. Remembering (as mentioned) you'll need to drive the machine to make the active codes change to logged.

  15. #15Tree Mulcher2023-12-19 19:35

    Nige The procedure you referenced to calls for the use of ET starting on page 16 pump and motor speed test and solenoid calibration. This is the procedure I, and my dealers have historically used when changing speed sensors. I have even had a dealer refuse to let me change speed sensors on rentals because of this calibration. I did not have ET at that time and they sent techs to the field to change sensor and do the pump and motor calibration with ET. I do not have my books with me, but I thought the procedure for changing the speed sensor called for the calibration referenced on page 16 with the use of ET. I can confess to changing sensors with damaged wiring and not doing the calibration with no ill effects. In referencing the original poster. I have not had a sensor come out covered in oil that I can remember. I cannot research this at this time but if you ask nicely I bet you could get Junkyard, Chrisso, Or Nige to research it. Op referenced the mulcher cutting out. Do a real good job inspecting and testing the wiring to the inclinometer. FYI the inclinometer can be deleted. You only need it for bucket self-leveling and maybe some GPS grading applications.

  16. #16Nige2023-12-21 12:20

    For nothing more than a sensor replacement - somebody was blowing smoke........ The only time a calibration is required is if there has been intervention in the control side of the hystat drive system, specifically the proportional solenoids that control the pump and motors. Also if "hydraulic" hardware (Pump, motor, etc.) has been replaced. As mentioned above the 2865, etc, Code for whichever sensor will NOT reset until a confirmed good signal has been received by the machine ECM. From the troubleshooting procedure - "If this diagnostic code is active, the ECM will keep the code active until a good sensor signal is observed by the Machine ECM. This means that the drive motors must be moved in order for the Machine ECM to determine whether or not the active code can be cleared." In my experience the machine needs to move a distance of somewhere around 50m/200ft after installation of the new sensor before the Code will clear.

  17. #17Tree Mulcher2023-12-21 22:43

    The joke is on them. It was their money to send someone out to calibrate on rentals. When the customer will do it for free just to get back running. I had a fight with that dealer when they tried that under warranty claiming they had to change the sensor. The dealer then claimed physical damage after the fact and denied warranty but wanted me to pay for the service call. They did not get paid for that service call. This was shortly after the dealership had this machine in the shop for months doing warranty work. I did manage to stay out of jail while trying to resolve this amongst other issues. I did not pay them to calibrate any outside of warranty. I no longer do business with that dealership.