Bobcat will only start by following this procedure... put in key, turn key to on position, go to back at engine, push fuel solenoid to far right position, then turn key to start. It then starts right up and operates and shuts off normally. My first thought was replace the solenoid but then saw people talking about coils and other possible issues. How do I get to the right problem so I dont waste more time or money? Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Welcome to HEF cnv65stang. :drinkup Is your machine a C, F, or G series?
Sounds like the solenoid is weak. Could be a problem with the pull in circuit, but I would try a solenoid if it was me. When it is on can you push it off?
I havent tried. Will try in the morning.
It is a 1997 763 C model.
I tried to push it off once it was forward and could not.... any ideas?
A C model is going way back in my memory, haven't worked on one in some time. It has the fuse box in the engine compartment, to the right of the engine, no? Does it have a "fuel" or "ignition" relay there as well? Like Bobcatdan said, it's most likely a weak/failing solenoid. But if you wish to do some testing, the solenoid has three wires, red, black, and white. The black is ground, we can assume it's a good ground or you wouldn't be able to "shift it to the right" and make it hold. The red wire is hot when key is on, this is the "hold" winding circuit inside the coil. Again, we can assume it's working proper as it does in fact hold the solenoid spool in when you shift the spool to the right. The white wire only has power for a few seconds, controlled by the ECU and possibly a relay at fuse panel, it powers the "pull" winding inside the solenoid. You need a helper to do this. Probe the white wire with a test light. Have helper turn on ignition switch. See if white wire is hot momentarily. If it is, solenoid is bad. If white wire is not hot, you got power issues somewhere else. I hope this helps.
There is also a timer modual that could be the problem. Your problem is with the pull in circuit. I would still lean towards the solenoid first, but it is hard say without looking at.
I was wondering if it used a timer module to control power to the white wire, been so long since I've worked on a C series couldn't recall for sure. :drinkup