Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 773 G drive belt tensioner

andyjax ยท 2015-02-19 14:56

Hi Folks- I recently replaced the main drive belt along with all the other belts and followed the manual to use a pry bar and move the tensioner against the belt beyond the 1:00 position. The pointer didn't move much, so I took the tensioner back off. Took off the dust cap. Bearing looks OK, there was a little grease spun out at the top of the bolt,etc, but the real issue is when I flipped the idler over and found the hub assembly cracked where the pin fits in to hold the spring. Not broken off, just cracked. I'm thinking that the machine ran for awhile with no tension on the spring. Anyway, wondering if I could spot weld it to save the $128.00 from Bobcat to replace the hub assembly. It's not so much the cost of the hub but taken it all apart. Also, what should be greased in there and how much tension, if any, should be put on the spring when I put it back together? Is it hard to take the thing apart? Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1crewchief8882015-02-20 09:01

    anything is possible, but is it worth the time and effort? i've never taken one apart, i replace them as a unit. :drinkup

  2. #2andyjax2015-02-20 11:07

    Anyone else out there ever taken one apart?

  3. #3andyjax2015-02-23 19:02

    Bought a new tensioner assembly but try as I might, can't get the pointer to move from the one o'clock position. Even used a big pry bar. What gives? Anyone with any experience with these that can shed some light? Thanks.

  4. #4crewchief8882015-02-23 19:08

    you are prying (down) on the mount ? sometimes it takes a rap with a hammer (to the pulley) WHILE you have tension on the mount for the spring to wind up. :drinkup

  5. #5andyjax2015-02-23 19:24

    Yep. Prying on the top of the bracket where the bolt fits between. Haven't tried hitting the pulley. Is the spring just binding somehow? I only have the retaining bolt hand tight at best.

  6. #6crewchief8882015-02-24 19:11

    yea the springs sometimes get stubborn, even on new assemblys. while putting pressure on the mount you can a) smack the pulley with a hammer to "shock" it b) give a hard, sharp jerk on the bar. the trick to have the bolt loose enough to let the tensioner move, but tight enough to not let it slip back when you let go of the bar. the bar i use is 30"-32" long it's only the 1st thousand or so that are hard, they get a lot easier after that.... :drinkup

  7. #7andyjax2015-02-24 19:40

    Thanks crew chief. See my new post for a payback of sorts. Crew chief on what btw?

  8. #8crewchief8882015-02-24 20:03

    i was the crewchief for a sportsman stock 2wd truck in the old CORR short course series for 3 years, until we ran outta money. :drinkup

  9. #9andyjax2015-02-25 08:08

    Ah OK. Thought it might have been military related and we had crossed paths. Thanks for your help.