Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 773 G gurgling coolant

NWC · 2022-11-20 20:44

Bobcat 773 G turbo. After running the machine there is coolant gurgling in the recovery tank. It's been doing it for a few weeks, run for maybe 4 hrs. It does not overheat and there are no leaks. The cab heater blows barely lukewarm. After moving snow for an hour the other day in 15 degree weather I could put my finger in the coolant recovery tank and it was still cool. (The level of coolant has risen in the recovery tank recently) I changed the engine oil today, it wasn't contaminated with coolant. The water pump and thermostat were replaced about 100 hours ago. That was about a year ago and if memory serves I believe I put the wrong size thermostat in, it calls for 165 degree and I think I put in a 185, i didn't realize my mistake until I had it installed,, it was a bear to get at so I let it ride. I thought before changing it out I would check with those in the know (you guys) and see if my symptoms match a bad thermostat. Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1Coaldust2022-11-20 20:49

    I would inspect & test the pressure cap.

  2. #2NWC2022-11-21 16:22

    Hey Coaldust, I had replaced the radiator cap back in October of last year when I put a new thermostat in so I didn't figure that would be the problem but I took that one and the original into Napa this morning and they both tested bad, they had one in stock that would work I had them test it and it tested good. I got home, changed out the coolant, it's still gurgling and still very little cab heat! I called bobcat about the thermostat they had sent and of course it was the wrong one, it's for 160°. The one I was supposed to put in (for the machine with the cab heater) I think he said it was 179° or something like that. I wonder if that would be the gurgling issue? Like I said it doesn't overheat so maybe it's not a big deal. I don't use it much in the winter, just when it snows so I don't care about a heated cab. I'm not ready to give bobcat another $80 after seeing how they sent me a junk $70 pressure cap and the wrong thermostat last year... but I don't want screw something up by continuing to run it either.

  3. #3Coaldust2022-11-21 16:45

    What is the pressure rating on the new cap? I don’t think the T-stat would be causing that, but I would get the correct one installed, eventually. Does it use any coolant? Or, did you mention that already? I’ll read your post again.

  4. #4NWC2022-11-21 17:52

    13 psi. No coolant leaks

  5. #5Coaldust2022-11-21 21:08

    Maybe the gurgle sound isn’t an issue? Just something you hadn’t noticed before. Especially, since no other symptoms. Maybe that incorrect T stat is missing a air vent.