Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat 773 leaking

blazerboy72 ยท 2016-03-19 15:57

I bought a bobcat 773 that I'll be picking up tuesday. The guy I bought it from says it is leaking into the chaincase. I thought it would be carrier seals but he has had both drive motors rebuilt and replaced both carrier seals. Is there anywhere else for fluid to leak into the chaincase? He said it is about 5 gallons in 10 minutes. The machine has 1400hrs if that matters.

Replies3
  1. #1crewchief8882016-03-19 17:39

    there are seals in the carrier housing, and a white nylon/plastic concave seal. only other place oil can get in is through the center of the carrier shaft. some models have a through hole in the center of the shaft that should be plugged. plugged case drain filter(s) could also be an issue. :drinkup

  2. #2willie592016-03-19 18:24

    I thought the same thing, drive motors were replaced/rebuilt by previous owner...why? Did they come apart inside? If so, did they replace the case drain filter screens?

  3. #3crewchief8882016-03-19 19:57

    anything is possible, i've seen people destroy the seals when installing them, usually knocking the tension spring on the bearing side loose. could also have a bad bearing(s) in the carrier, shaft flopping around, or moving back and forth causing a pumping action on the seal. 99% of the time if the machine drives good, theres no reason to reseal the motors. remove the motors and carrier seals, pop off the center chaincase cover and check for endplay on the carrier shafts. :drinkup