Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 773G fuel problem

andyjax · 2020-01-25 12:19

Hello all- Just changed out the engine on this bobcat, cleaned out the tank with new everything up to the priming bulb. The engine came complete as a drop in. New filters everywhere. Readjusted drive belt , but it was already at the 2 o'clock position with a good tensioner. Machine cranks and runs until dying out ( usually under load but not always ). I've ordered a new priming bulb from bobcat, but when the machine dies I can squeeze the priming bulb a few times and it will crank and run for a while. Could this be the lift pump and how could I tell? Thanks. I read through all the threads I could find but didn't seem to address this.

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2020-01-26 07:25

    Try running it w/o the fuel cap on the tank..but normally a restriction like that would suck down the primer bulb.. The squeeze bulbs arent anything special from what I've seen, u coulda gotten away w/ 1 from walmart or a boating store..{Yamaha's are the best pr. bulbs} It sounds as if it may be a weak supply pump or floaters in the fuel tank.. Have u changed the filters again or dumped out the old one to see if theres anything in it.??

  2. #2andyjax2020-01-26 08:58

    I took the tank out and cleaned it pretty well. I'm thinking a bad lift pump but not sure.

  3. #3Mobiltech2020-01-26 08:59

    Try running it from a clean jug of fuel if you can. Just put a hose from priming bulb into jug of fuel. Eliminate tank problem.

  4. #4Patti2021-10-30 14:53

    Hi! I have a Bobcat 731,(1978 or around there I believe) It has a 4 cyl WISCONSIN gas engine. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems with it. My friend (who is mechanically inclined & works on all kinds of machines) has tried a bunch of things, and nothing is working. The machine starts (with a little patience) and runs, but then all of a sudden it quits. Sometimes it will start back up and sometimes it won’t. The other night i noticed that it seemed to get worse as it got warmer, and my friend agreed. By the time we were down to the last 3 large squares of hay out of 16, he literally had to start it over & over 100 times, inching it forward. (He was not impressed with me, my horses, or the Bobcat when we finally finished at 2:30 in the morning! ‍♀️‍♀️). I can’t give you the full list of what he’s done, but some of the things I know of are: -changed/cleaned the gas filter -took the carburetor apart and cleaned it -new battery -put a fuel tank on top to see if that would eliminate the problem (It didn’t) - put a new electronic ignition on it (when I first got it) -I always use Premium Esso fuel I’m sure he’s done some other things, but I just can’t recall what at they are at the moment. (I can get that additional information later). In the meantime…has anyone else experienced this problem with Bobcats? Anything you suggest we take a look at or try (if we haven’t tried them already?)