I found a 1983 bobcat 843. What should i look for, what are the pros and cons of the machine?
When i went to look at it today, it sounds like it needs a new starter. The lap bar is broken( someone cut the middle out of it), The guages dont work. The guy showe me a reciept for a new hydro pump and new drive motors that were instlled by a bobcat dealer about 2 months ago for 3K. It has one new tire and the other 3 have about 50%. The engine seemed ok. It also has a new 66" CAT tooth bucket. Any ideas? what would you pay for this machine?
Sound like trouble to me ,that's an old machine, should be really cheap or close to nothing ,make sure you run it enough till the Hyd oil is hot and run it hard before making a decision on this machine. my .02 cents.
about $3000.00 might be close, then you can spend another $3000.00 on it and have a nice machine. Remember the unit is 27 years old, . You just can't put a price on a piece of equipment like this, there are to many unknowns. If it starts, end moves, and the loader lifts and dumps you have something to start with, and from there you take a chance, good luck
It starts, moves, all the hydros work..... the guy want $5k cash.......idk its risky .....what should i look for to make a better decision. Thanks for the input
Fill the bucket with dirt, lift it and let it sit give it 5 minutes if it stays put, good then put the bucket on the ground and lift the front of the machine. let it sit for 5 minutes if the machine stays up good. While it is up in the front check the front wheel slop. that will check out your chain slop. . now drop the machine on all 4 tires and let it rest. if it starts crawling on its own front or backwards it could be bad linkage on the adjustments for crawl. I say this because anyone selling it would make these minor adjustments before trying to sell it.. now push some dirt with it, then backdrag some dirt with it, If it pushes and pulls fine. after it has run for 15 to 20 minutes, open the back and make sure it isn't super hot. now move the machine over to a clean area of ground ,park it , leave it runnig and after 15 minutes move it away and check to see how much oil it left on the ground. As far as the starter goes shut it off several times and restart it several times. if the starter is bad it will be sure to crap out on the 3rd or 4th time. the new tire mixed in with 3 50% worn ones might cause a little howling from the chain case. I would still try to buy this machine for about $3000.00. that is if it passes all the run tests. I have purchaced and restored many,many skid steers in the past 20 years. What I pay for them ,I in most cases' put the same amount back into them and sold them for twice the investment amount. I always refered to them as doublers. . I have bought and re-sold skid steers with over 15,000 hrs on them.They seem to run forever if you maintain them and use them right.You can find some good used skid steers out ther right now for good money , but it takes hours and hours to go check them out. Don't be shy about making offers on used equipment , but make firm cash offers and you will end up buying them . Good luck with your 1st skid steer..
I went to look at it again, checked everything you said smokey......everything passed...hydraulics stayed up and lifted the machine just fine, not much slop in the chain ( a few inches). Started worked well , He said he would throw in tire chains for all 4 tires, the service manual and all the reciepts for the machine.
Some pics, also checked the aux hydro with a power broom, it worked very well.
Be sure to check the chaincase oil level at the plug just behind the bucket. It should be clean (no water) and you should be able to reach it with a finger. Also check for signs of leakage at the axles.
Hi all, I know it's bad juju to necro such an old post - especially as your first intro but I just joined after buying a pretty well functioning (so far) 1988 843 for pretty light residential duty as we both serve out our retirement puttering around my too-small-to-justify-an-843 yard. I pulled up this post because it's so funny how times have changed - today a $5k working 843 would have a line of buyers a mile long in my neck of the woods.... and that's 15 years ago. People would ask that much for a rotten parts machine these days. Such is life - but on the bright side, it is a testament to the machines... still moving earth like a boss after all these years, and hopefully more to come. Wish the forums were as active as those days and facebook was never invented, but you can't have it all. Glad to see you all are still hanging around and I hope to contribute in the future as I get my bearings.
I wish it was easy to find and pick out a older machine . Half the guys that has owned had a bad time owning this machine and the other half had a great time with this machine. I have a 1830 case for what i gave for it and the use i have got out of it the machine has been great but some one will see it and say that old rig is junk they were junk when they were new. If we had a crystal ball that would be great.
I have a Scat Trak that is about 95%. Realistically, it is not worth much but with new tires, new bushings and pins, no leakage and pushes and loads dirt great, it’s worth everything to me. They are selling clapped out 843’s for 5 grand, that won’t run for an hour before overheating or leaking all over. If they are beat on but cared for and fixed when needed, they work forever. Good luck with your new purchase and keep us posted.
A few inches ? IIRC my 642 (similar age model) manual states that the chain is auto adjust. If the hydro's are worn out (they were replaced), then the engine and chains & sprockets (as well as bearings) are probably worn out as well.
Meh, chains being reasonably tight will move the tires a couple of inches easily.
Mine don't move the outside perimeter more than 3/4". If the chains are so worn out that the auto adjusting feature has come to the end of it's stroke, I could see more slack happening. Best thing is to consult the manual.
I think an 843 has bow tie chains and they aren't adjustable. There needs to be some play though. Maybe a Bobcat expert can confirm the chains aren't adjustable.