Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 843 fuel injection

hdblackwhite ยท 2016-02-24 10:34

Hi, new to the forum. I just bought a Bobcat 843 s/n 21900 that had the fuel supply system re-engineered. I would like to put it back to the correct fuel supply system that my service and parts manual shows. The previous owner installed a 12-volt fuel pump and removed the squeeze bulb from the supply line. He also bypassed the fuel filter. I have a new fuel filter and cannot decide whether I should keep the electric pump and install it in front of the inlet side of the filter or if I should go back to the original squeeze bulb system. Any ideas? Also, I need a seal that Bobcat no longer carries, any suggestions on Perkins engine parts suppliers? Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-02-24 12:43

    6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.. IF it were mine, I would keep the 12v.. put it between the tank and the filter.. That way, it has the least resistance for fuel and pushs fuel into the filter.. BUT THEN AGAIN> you don't want dirty fuel muckin up your 12v lift pump either.. A primer bulb probably isn't going to help much if the 12v goes out.. Use push-on hose w/hose clamps and keep the primer stashed on the machine for emergencys..

  2. #2hdblackwhite2016-02-24 16:41

    Thanks for the quick reply, I believe I am going to go with your advise and install the 12v pump in front of the filter.

  3. #3willie592016-02-24 21:27

    The primer bulb is only there to prime the filter when doing filter changes, if the electric pump is wired up to come on when ignition is activated, kind of negates the need for the primer bulb anyway. As for the pump before or after the filter, unless the previous owner changed it (modified) as well, the original Bobcat supply line has a strainer on the end of the fuel pickup tube inside the tank, that strainer would prevent large debris from going into the pump. And if you can find some room in the tight spaces in a Bobcat, you could always fit a Wix 33972 inline strainer prior to the lift pump.

  4. #4hdblackwhite2016-02-25 11:57

    Thanks for the help, hope to get this done this weekend! Also, does anyone have an Operators manual for the Bobcat 843? I have the service manual and I found one for a 743 that is helpful.