Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 863 G traction lock intermittent engaging

Bobcat99 ยท 2018-01-05 13:41

Hello, It's been a little while since I've posted on the forum, as I usually find my answer from older posts. But, I have an issue with my 863 G series machine (1999) engaging the traction lock. About six months ago the machine began locking up occasionally, and then eventually it locked up completely. I replaced the solenoid and fuse, and that seemed to take care of the problem. I afterward ordered a few new relays, just in case. However, I did not replace it, as some recommend at the same time, as it seemed to be okay. I swapped it for the glow plug relay, etc. and it was okay. Now, occasionally over the summer I'd get a sporadic issue here and there with it locking up, but I attributed it mostly to stopping the machine in a strange position with a lot of load in the bucket, and so more or less mechanically getting the traction pin/wedge stuck, if that makes sense. In such a circumstance, I'd just remove the bucket or forks from the machine, and releasing the load with allow it to disengage. So, unless I'm mistaken, I think that's unrelated. So, fast forward to yesterday. The machine needed a battery boost, as it wouldn't crank (pretty cold here and not started in a couple weeks with the holidays and all). It was only reading 12.10 volts or so, so I had to charge it a bit first, then started no problem. I plowed snow for about 1 hour, no issue at all. Then I stopped (half in the road/driveway) to speak to someone. I didn't shut it down or lift the seat bar or anything, just came to a stop. When I proceed to move again, the traction lock kicked in on me. Now, I did not, as far as I can remember, hear the typical three beeps and the flashing of the traction lock. The 1st, 3rd, and 4th lights went out, with only seat bar remaining lit. So, I hit the operating button, the lights all came on, no beeping of the traction, went to move again, but it locked up. I can't recall though if it had stayed locked up or disengaged then re-locked up, as I only moved a bit before getting stopped. I suspect it didn't disengage at all, despite the lights all going on. I turned off the machine, fiddled a bit with it hitting the buttons, and it eventually unlocked. (Again, during all this I didn't get the usual traction lock beeping that I'd gotten six months ago, when the solenoid had gone bad.) I moved the machine a few feet backwards, to try to get out of the roadway, it locked again. I proceeded to get it unlocked, and it repeatedly got locked up. Thought I had it freed for a little stretch then came to a halt (always unpleasant...). Anyway, finally after getting locked up a few times, I got it up to my garage. Left it running, went inside to do a bit of checking on the internet. (Unfortunately, because I was rushing to get out of the roadway, I didn't get the codes, when it was locking, which was not smart.) After idling for 10 minutes or so, and I went out again to try to get it to lock up again on me, in order to get the codes, but it wouldn't lock up; it was running fine again. Codes showing "NONE". I didn't continue using it, as I had finished plowing more or less, and I didn't feel like coming to a screeching halt. Now, I do have the new relay, which I can put in. But, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think it's relay related. I could see if the machine would lock up from start up, and not release--in other words, no PULL, which should be the job of the relay path, I believe. But its happening while operating normally and so held position of solenoid. I don't think it's the fairly new solenoid (aftermarket, by the way--"Warrior', I think), if only because I did not experience the same beeping and light flashing for traction lock. I plan to check the RPM sensor next, which others have said could be an issue (maybe after getting hot?). Maybe it's dirty, or going bad. Does anyone know what it should read on a meter? I suppose a chewed or rubbing wire could be a possibility, as well. Maybe some other sensor. But, before checking, I just wanted to get a few opinions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joe

Replies6
  1. #1crewchief8882018-01-05 16:10

    rpm sensor or check your battery cables, especially the ground. take it off, clean the inside until it's bright and shiny and reattach. many time what "looks" like a good connection, no crusty green corrosion, isnt a good connection. the controllers only pull a few amps, and a crappy ground will cause them to shut off. another thing to check is the charging system, if battery voltage drops below 9V or so, the controller will shut off to protect itself, same goes for (sustained) voltage over 15V

  2. #2Bobcat992018-01-05 23:36

    Hi Crewchief888, Thanks for the reply. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I checked the machine today, and with a few good twists, I was able to pull the negative off by hand. It makes sense, as I had been plowing over some cobble stone, which always gets bumpy no matter how careful I try. Also, when I had to charge the battery, I noticed that the positive was a little dirty (negative not so much). I cleaned the terminals (just on the outside, though, as I was planning to take the battery out soon to check the level and see about trickle charging it). But, I had a bit of trouble getting a decent connection to get it to start. I usually attribute this to my battery charger cable ends, which are next to useless. But, in hindsight it might have been just making poor contact between the post and cable end. I didn't test the machine yet to see if it stops locking up, I will in the next day or so, but everything points to the battery connection. That's happened half a dozen times to me with cars, with a dirty connection or one that's worked loose... So that'd be great if it's just that. I'll keep you posted. Thanks a lot. Joe

  3. #3Bobcat992018-01-05 23:46

    Also, I just realized, I believe my battery is missing its hold down bracket. I'm not positive, but I don't remember seeing it. That can't be good. Joe

  4. #4Coastal2018-01-06 12:08

    My t300 would do that, it ended up being the switch in the pull down lap bar, I ended up rotating the switch so it would contact properly, seemed to have fixed it.

  5. #5crewchief8882018-01-06 18:46

    i see them missing 25% the time......

  6. #6crewchief8882018-01-06 18:51

    i'd guess that 50% of the electrical problems i see are actually battery cable problems, loose, corroded... customer "but i just put a new battery in 2 days ago" me "you shoulda cleaned and tightened the cables" customer "what do we do now? i gotta have this running RIGHT NOW!!!" me "let me install a new battery and check the charging system, then you can take your old one back to autozone. BTW theres a $25 core on the new bobcat battery"