Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 863—–I think I have problems

whiskeyrichard · 2021-09-10 23:07

I was in the need for a skid steer for a specific job. I had been thinking about buying one because I had been renting them about about twice a month. I got in a hurry and bought a low hour older unit that seemed to be fine and now I'm finding problems. I have a couple leaks that I think I can deal with on my own, but tonight when I was servicing the machine, I pulled the cab up and found this old, jerry rigged repair. (see pic) I do not have a service manual yet and was going to see if anybody here could tell me what part this is that is broken in the pic. There appears to be a coat hanger that is holding this metal shaft from falling down into what I assume is the hydraulic resevoir. There was a rag wrapped around the top to stop leaks I guess. Can anybody here tell me what this part is? In the picture, the front of the machine is to the right.

Replies5
  1. #1willie592021-09-10 23:12

    That's the parking brake, and yes, there are now parts missing and I have no idea what all is going on that made the former owner toss the parking brake solenoid and rig up something like that. Just damn.

  2. #2whiskeyrichard2021-09-10 23:43

    Ok, great. Just knowing what it is helps. I’m guessing the loose wiring connector next to it is what activated the solenoid....when it existed.

  3. #3willie592021-09-11 00:00

    You would be correct, that loose connector is what would have connected to the parking brake solenoid.

  4. #4whiskeyrichard2021-09-11 09:54

    Here’s my working theory: the solenoid went bad and the prior owner removed it and used the coat hanger to Keep that metal shaft from moving down and holding the parking brake on. All I need to do is replace the solenoid and reconnect the harness and should be back to work with this part. Does that seem legit?

  5. #5willie592021-09-11 21:19

    Yes, that's entirely possible, no way of confirming until you install a new solenoid, but then you may find other reasons for the disconnect, such as a wacked out BICS control system. Again, no way of knowing until you install a new one.