I've sold my old Thomas and am looking at newer larger machines and have found a Bobcat 863 and a NH LX885. Both seem close in spec. NH has TD 70hp engine and higher load rating. I'm not concerned as much about the #'s as I am ease of service and reliability.... I've used both machines and they're both nicer than what I have. I'm looking for opinions on reliability and ease of maintenance and service..... Thanks
the 863 has the deutz engine that have head gaskets that go out at about 2000 or so hours the gear pumps have an aluminum center that are known to crack the access to the backside of the engine and hydro stat there is very little except for laying on a creeper and reaching all the way to the back the pump mount bolt on the end of the hydro stat breaks its not really needed but its there just the same you have to watch the motor and hydro stat bolts to make sure they do not become loose and fall out they will then take out the engine oil pan by allowing it to rub on the fuel tank depending on the series f or g you can tell by the lights triangular are g series square are f series the steering is real figity on the f series with servo controlled steering the g series are solid linkage pintle arm design and are alot smoother to run the deutz engine if you do buy a 863 make sure you see when the timing belt was replaced last if it hasn't you should replace it before it breaks to avoid down time and buying 8 new push rods when they bend thats about all the service stuff on those you should be aware of before you buy them if you plan on working on it your self don't know of too much about the new hollands
Well that about answers my questions on Bobcat! I thought they looked awful hard to get around when I was trying to see everything..... Around here, New Hollands are hugely popular for agricultural and I see a bunch of skid steers as well.... I'll likely go with the new holland but if anyone else has any input, I appreciate it! Thanks for your thoughts Bobcatmechanic! :drinkup
From my experience as a salesman of bobcats in the early, and mid 80s, the Bobcat is the better machine in most respects. I think my advise would be to get the spec sheets on any machine you might consider, and compare the parts that transfer power from the engine. Two examples (from back then) 1. The Bobcat 843, and the Case 1845 were close to equal in all design respects, but the case was $5,000 less in price. The difference was in the hydrostatic drive pumps, and motors. The case used the (exact) same setup as the next size smaller Bobcat. 2. Another small thing that caused Case some grief, was axels breaking, they were about 25% smaller in dia. That was over 20 years ago, but when it comes to saving money, some things never change. That leaves it up to the buyer to know how to decide, and what to decide on. If you operate your own machine, almost any piece of junk will make money. If you put other people on it, look for the newest, and best, and let a service shop keep it in repair, and making money. :IMO Ron
the 843's are a basic design very little electronics and are a u joint drive setup they are very easy to maintain in the respect of very little trouble shooting involved the sales men are always going to say this is better or that is but when considering to buy a machine go talk to a tech in the shop and get the low down the service manager most generally will side with the sales men as to not lose the sale as for me i tell the straight truth to the customers of what i see and what i think if you lose the sale o well better to have them get a machine they will like and not be in the shop all the time when first bought because they heard all the good and none of the bad about them so obviously you are gonna buy it but when you hear both sides then you can make a better educated decision on what to buy
Dont wanna hijack the tread, but as a new user i have no rights to start a thread. Anyhow, could anyone help me with timing belt replacement procedure, on Bobcat 863 with Deutz oil cooled engine? i have a trouble locating marks on pulleys for timing. Have done it numerous times on cars, so felt confident i can do it myself, so with little guidance should be ok. Thank you in advance! :drinkup
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums AndyGrevis! :drinkup
Thanks Countryboy! Now what about that belt replacement? Bobcatmechanic, could you help out? i really dont wanna go ahead without changing out the belt, but without knowing the stuff seems like wont get far Andy
the timing marks are not there they user timing pins that lock the cam and crank in place the dealer has them and if they are nice they can order and sell them to you or if they are real nice they will let you borrow them use them adn bring them back but there are no timing marks to speak of just to plugs one on the front left of the engine its a 10mm socket to take it out and on the back just above the oil pan take those out and pun the pins in take the belt off then get the lbs of tension on it which you set with a special belt tension tool intial setting at 3.5 rotate the crank 4 revolutions then check again and its suppose to be close to 9 lbs of belt tension if that helps you out
Wow, i am amazed BobCatMechanic, you are The Man! In short, was able to locate plugs, while the cam was an easy one and straight forward, the crank was torture. Took the measurements and made my own pins. pluged cam pin in and was stupid enough to drop the belt, assuming procedure will be the same as for cam, and after that trying to find the right spot on the crank, lol. anyways, belt is on, tensioned correctly, and engine purrs like a kitten, the only problem i have now is that its not shutting down, and revs high, totally disregarding attempts to control rpms. could it be that i somehow messed up some wires or something?
I would like to know the measurement of the pin tools. My Deutz in the Bobcat 863 was abandoned in a field and left to rust, with the camshaft pulley loose. While there is a definate notch in the camshaft hole, I cannot figure out where to center the crank. To test the engine I set timing by testing for TDC and looking for where the valves open and close with the valve cover off. While it runs fine from ether or a propane bottle, the engine will not run from diesel. Injectors spray so I am thinking it's down to fine tuning the timing. The Bobcat manual is of no help.
Hey I am new here, but have a lot of used skid steer business. Since this thread has been brought back to the top, I was wondering if you got a Bobcat or a New Holland? Accumac.
Too bad nobody had more technical info on this. I ended up centering the cam timing to the TDC of the piston then advancing or retarding to see what happens. Still not running great but will start and run surging before smoothing out. Hopefully I can get it all worked out and put the engine back in this week.
This is what it looks like now. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o315/joserealty53/IMG_7896.jpg
Hello all, this is my first post so feel free to offer any advice....I got an 863 which i use for part of my business(portable sawmilling and house building etc) and am just about to rebuild the deutz motor. I have exp mech helping with my service manual under arm. I have some specs on engine lifting frame but wonder if easier/other way??????
You don't need the engine lifting frame. Just use a regular cherry picker and make a lifting bracket out of angle or channel iron. It is possible to remove the engine without the belthousing/pump but I pulled both to clean the machine and remove the fuel tank. I have had extreme difficulty finding Deutz parts other than the insanely priced Bobcat dealer. There has to be someplace where you can find parts for that engine that don't cost more than it is worth. Nobody has even been able to give me measurements for those elusive timing pins. It is just sitting on the floor of the garage till I can conjure up a timing belt and maybe a flywheel ring gear.
Thanks Tallrick, I do plan to pull the lot out...Yes indeed, my local Bobcat dealer is over the top $$$$ but have found a nearby diesel parts specialist who is also a Deutz agent. Much cheaper and more informative re engine stuff.Prob too expensive to warrant postage to US!!!
Hi Rick, sorry for your bad luck, i thought you figured out those pins. I can take a pic out of those i made, from taking measurements and comparing them to pics from the sites that sell them for ~$36 me thinks. from what i recall it was M10x1 thread on them. However, i will have access to them only after weekend. i hope it helps/shall help
New Holland all the way between those two.