Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some ideas to troubleshoot a Case 1835C

Bentworker2 ยท 2008-06-23 01:57

My craptastic 1987 Case 1835C let me down today. It has a continental TMD20 3 cyl 2.0L diesel engine. Since purchasing it last Novermber I rebuilt the engine (new pistons, rings, bearings, valves, valve guides, valve springs, oil pump, water pump, rebuilt injection pump and more). I have put about 100 hours on it since I have owned it. Today it was warm, about 85 degrees and I was using it lightly (maybe 60% throttle) to clean out the floor of my future garage. I only had it going for about 10 minutes, then it just died. I could not get it to restart, it would only blow out what seemed to be unburned diesel, almost smoky. It would turn over quickly, and if let to sit for 5 minutes or so it would just about sound like it would fire off, then it would just pump out smoke. Any ideas? I have not seen any evidence of coolant in the engine oil. It does get stored outside, so it does get weather-beaten and may be vandalized. Things I think it may be... 1) Something wrong with the Stanadyne injection pump? 2) Burned valve? 3) Burned piston? I'm going to give it a bath and pull the valve cover tomorrow. Peter

Replies1
  1. #1Bentworker22008-06-24 00:17

    Got it fixed! Turned out to be something stupid. All the rocks and dirt that have fallen in the footwell over the past 100 hours jammed up the auxiliary hydraulic control valve. The added load from it trying to close the bucket stalled the engine since I had it at such low rpm, and kept me from being able to start it.