Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 863 Water Problems

Madrummer ยท 2010-05-15 19:49

Hello all have been visiting this forum for quite a while now and just recently came across a problem that has motivated me to join in search of some help with a problematic machine I just came across this weekend. The machine is a Bobcat 863, I know the owner and he has always taken excellent care of his machines proper maintenance oil change ect... Unfortunately due to health issues his Bobcat has been sitting outside for nearly 2 years now, and I was enlisted to help get it running again. The problem... It looks as if the exhaust tip rotted away and now the entire motor and exhaust is filled with water. I removed the drain plug and must have taken 15-20 quarts of water out of the motor before I even saw any oil. Water from the exhaust was siphoned out, and as I am writing this I am still letting the oil from the top of the motor drain out. (probably let it drain for a day or two just to be certain I dont cause any hydrolock) Hopefully the water didn't freeze and crack something!? The good news... The motor turns and the electronics seem to work fine, Im getting all the lights that should be glowing green glowing green and it looks as if I can dry this mess out it just may with a bit of luck turn over and run. (wishful thinking I know) As far as the question, is there anything else I can do to flush the motor out before I attempt to start the machine? If I can get it running that will really be the test to see what sort of damage lurks inside. Anything else I should check, or drain? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Replies6
  1. #1wildhorse trnr2010-05-15 22:08

    I had a unit that had been run off in a flood control pond at a golf course. I had to drain the systems. The engine had not been filled with water as long as yours, but basically, I changed all filters, drained the oil and filled with oil, turned it over for 15 second intervals 4 times with the fuel solenoid disconnected, then drained again. I re filled and replaced the oil filter then started and ran it to operating temp at low idle speed, then repeated. If you are concerned you may have a damaged block due to freezing, you can pressure test the cooling system with a pressure tester. You can also pull an oil sample from the unit once you get it cranked, it will give some extreme reading most likely, but it should improve with each service, I would change several times (every 50 hours) till the next standard service interval is reached.

  2. #2Madrummer2010-05-16 08:38

    Ile give that a shot and see what happens, I was already planning on changing the oil almost immediately after I got it started. Im trying to keep positive and not even think about the block being cracked due to freezing. On the bright side all of the oil and water was contained in the motor so there obviously isnt some HUGE crack somewhere. I am really worried about rust from the exhaust tank somehow finding its way in there, and also if there be any side effects from this a year or two down the road as far as internal damage that I cannot see.

  3. #3willie592010-05-16 09:47

    Worst thing I can think of would be rusting of the cylinder walls. Water would have traveled through exhaust manifold and entered the combustion chambers. Water sitting on top of pistons could cause rust of the cylinders at that point and rusting of the rings as well. Not much you can do about it without tearing the engine down, so if you can get it to run, might as well run it and see how much life you can get out of it.

  4. #4Madrummer2010-05-17 17:34

    Put fresh oil in it today and tried turning it over for a few minutes, am letting oil drain again right now, oil still has water in it and doesnt look to pretty. When I was cranking the machine, I heard a loud clanking noise, so it doesn't look good. I suppose the next step is to take a look with a borescope run it up and look at the pistons and see whats going on in there. I am not a mechanic and this motor is really not looking promising to me. The next question is, is the machine worth rebuilding? Deutz Motors are extremely difficult to get parts for, so im guessing a new motor will need to be purchased, a quick internet search leads me to believe this will run about $5000. What is the going rate for a skid steer motor install? If I have the option to BUY this broken machine from my friend how much would be a fair price? Thanks for all your help so far, its really a shame to see a nice machine like this in such disrepair.

  5. #5Mavrickxxx2010-05-18 22:17

    I got n 864 with the duetz n am wondering if I got aprob with the same shutoff I picked it it was supposed to have n engine that was no good I put new injectors n injection pumps n it runs great just starts hard. Almost like it needs to reprime everytime it takes alittle while for fuel to build up n fire. Not I got problem with ahc It locks up when I curl bucket up looks everything out. Lifts up n down fine n curls up just not down

  6. #6Mavrickxxx2010-05-18 22:23

    Also water is huge enmey of that engine. In mine it was missing gromet on top of fuel tank n getting water in it. Any way it killed injectors n pumps. There is a guy in Texas I was gonna have a new engine from was cheapest price.aircooldiesel.