Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 863 with Deutz 1011, valve cover vent question

obleck ยท 2020-10-10 03:27

Hello, I have an 863 with a Deutz 1011 in it. I am getting oil leaking out of some unknown location in and around the fuel injectors. After replacing all the fuel bypass lines, which is what I thought it was (but it wasn't), I pulled the muffler off to take a look from above. (The muffler on this machine is mounted about 1/2 inch right above the valve cover.) I discovered there is a plastic valve cover pressure relief valve in there on the back of the valve cover that had melted, and on top of it is a heat shield cover with some sort of a white fibrous material, item 34 "insulation" in the parts drawing attached. In this case the fibrous stuff was caked in oil and the pressure relief was essentially clogged and stuck from having melted, which might explain the leaks (i.e. causing valve cover to be pressurized), but I'm not totally convinced. I ordered a new valve, but the fibrous stuff is a mystery. Anyone know what this stuff is, or how to get it? It evidently comes in a "heat shield kit" that I can't find either. Perhaps some steel wool will work. It appears the purpose is not so much to insulate, but probably to catch any blow-by oil. Secondarily, any other ideas on how oil could be leaking out of the valve cover? Strangely enough it doesn't appear to be leaking out from the cover gasket, but rather it is appearing on the injectors on #2 and #3 and also spraying up and around slightly since the bottom of the muffler was wet. I've cleaned the area several times and it's not at all obvious. There is also a vent hose that comes from the air filter on the turbo side with a brass fitting that went somewhere. The fitting was was disconnected but still attached to the hose. This seems like it's either providing low pressure/suction to the crank case (recirculating blow-by in essence), or it's providing clean air to somewhere when properly connected. Any ideas on that? It's not in the parts drawings. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2020-10-10 09:17

    I'd use generic exhaust heat shield, the stuff you want will come like a blanket with aluminum foil cloth cover. It's the cost of compact equipment, too much stuff stuffed in too small a space, plus too much plastic, needs heat shields, and when they wear out, you have to replace them and everything that melted, or you get to replace the whole machine when it burns. I can't help with the injector oil leaking.

  2. #2obleck2020-10-10 12:40

    Thanks, Delmer. Is that a NAPA sort of product? Never seen anything like it.

  3. #3Delmer2020-10-10 16:25

    Napa has it, or will get it. Lots of results from a search. It's probably a stainless steel cover, not aluminum foil.