Hey guys! I've purchased a 2000 Bobcat 863G recently, that will not start. I have a shop manual, but it doesn't give a single line electrical schematic, only a wire schematic. Which is not very useful for someone to troubleshoot it. Ive had my two control boxes installed in a working machine, so I know they're good. Ive replaced all the fuses and relays. The only other major electrical component left is this type of electrical junction board...im assuming its good for now. The engine turns over if I jump the starter, but will not start bc the fuel shut off solenoid isn't getting 12v from the control panel. The fuel is clean, the fuel filter is clean, the screen inside the lift pump is clean and the pump is pumping. I ran out of daylight today, but hopefully tomorrow my final thing to check will be the 100 A main fuse. Has anyone else encountered this type of problem?
Is this something that happened suddenly? Will not start, does that mean it won't crank to start? Or does that mean it will crank but not start?
The guy i got it from said it just stopped running. The only thing, right now, that will work without out electrically jumping out is the front and rear lights. The engine will turn over if i jump out the solenoid, but it will not crank bc the fuel shut off solenoid is not allowing fuel to flow to the fuel pumps.
No, that's not the way it works, fuel solenoid has nothing to do with cranking. Please answer specific questions as they are asked, we're not at the machine, you are, in order for any of us to help you we need you to answer question exactly as they are asked. So I'm going to assume by your response that the machine will not crank the engine by using the ignition, is that correct?
That is correct.
Ok, then let's slow down and take things one step at a time from the beginning, we have to start with the no crank issue before we even address the fuel solenoid. But first things first, is the alarm working on the machine? If yes, when you first power up the ignition does the alarm make one long beep?
The only operational part of the machine at this moment is the marker lights, rear lights and the buzzer that btw is in the same panel, the left one. The entire right panel, the one that has the ignition key is getting no voltage. When I sit in the machine the only action I can get is when I push the lights button. On the first push I hear the buzzer and the light relay click. On the second push I hear the rear light relay click. The only other thing that operates during this time is the hour meter. I also held the "press to operate loader" button to try and see if it has any trouble codes. No codes....i think.
Please...answer my questions specifically as I ask them, don't offer more information than I ask because we'll go down rabbit trails that won't be productive at this point. One step at a time. So I assume that the alarm works, one long beep, when you power up the ignition, correct?
I understand where "willie59" is going. For me every diagnosis starts with questions about battery power and connections. I am sure if you answer his questions he will direct you exactly what to test first and not have to go back 15 posts later. He knows the systems well. Hopefully you get it figured out. Simon C
Correct you are. I've been bending wrenches on machines for over 35 years now, and I've spent a plenty of time on the older Bobcat machines. In troubleshooting, sometimes it's good to get all the info you can to narrow down where to look, but other times, looking at the "big picture" just muddies the water and it's best to start with and focus on the most fundamental problem and fix that, then you may find the other problems fix themselves. There is a method to the madness.
The battery is brand new, the connections at the battery are clean and tight. Unfortunately the only info the guy i bought it from is "it just stopped running and wouldn't start back up." So far this is what I've done and know. Ive replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals, replaced the seat bar sensor, cleaned and/or replaced all fuses and relays, the guys at the Hammond LA bobcat dealer put both the left and right instrument panels on another machine there to test them (they were good). Yesterday, since it rained all day, I transfered all the controller connection points to a larger piece of paper, so itll be easier for me to see as im checking for continuity (broke wires). Im thinking my problem is going to be one of three things: bad connection, broke wire or bad controller. Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated! And thank you very much in advance!!
Well, if Bobcat can't figure it out I doubt there's much I can do to help.
thanks...I'll figure it out.
For your information "wallace77", continuity testing a harness or wire is the same as continuity testing a cable built with 100 fine strands with 99 broken. It will have a perfect continuity test from one end to the other but will carry absolutely no load. It only tells you their is a path from A-B but does not tell you if the cable, wire or harness is really good. A voltage drop test will tell you instantly if using a good meter and understanding what are good and no good numbers on the meter. I had to do a large repair last spring behind some dealer mechanics that totally blew their attempt to repair. The dealer eventually sent back $500 to my customer after their sevice manager came to see for himself, and he admitted his guys did not have enough expeerience. If who ever came to help you did not do voltage drop testing of all the circuits while attempting to start, I would recommend you find someone else. I have seen too many burnt off cables internally, mis-diagnosted as a faulty starter or solenoid, or poor connections that led people down the wrong path with lots of wasted money.. Thats what my 40 years experience tells me. Simon C
Cool. Thank you sir. I suspect a bad connection or a badly corroded or broken wire. I'll have a schematic from a heavy machinery rental serviceman. That should help me out a lot when tracing and testing wires.
Have you checked the fuses in the fuse panel? I had a S770 that was electrically dead and wouldn't do a dam thing from the key. It was a blown fuse.
Yes, after replacing the battery and cleaning the battery connections, I replaced all fuses and relays. My cousin happens to be a heavy machinery serviceman. He's coming over in the morning to check my controller. I'll keep you updated as to what he finds out with his computer.
Today, I found one power wire that was between the controller and the two instrument panels and that the positive battery cable was contacting the painted wall behind the battery. My serviceman cousin thinks that may have been enough to mess up my controller. Also I jumped out the fuel pull, glow plug and starter relays and started the machine. The foot pedals are not operational yet. Tomorrow im going to ohm all wires between the controller and the instrument panels to try and figure out if the controller is bad or not.
I believe my controller is faulty. Ive found a company that will check it for $150 and if its bad repair it for $800.