Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966 B

John Sarappa · 2023-01-09 06:39

Hey guys my 966b loader which shuts off by pulling the gas pedal back is stuck in the off position. It is not the linkage, it’s something in the pump. Any suggestions on getting it back forward so it will start? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1kshansen2023-01-09 08:51

    Any chance of a picture showing the injection pump in the area where the linkage attaches. SIS does not have 966B listed as it is too old, but maybe having a picture would jog my or someone else memory memory on the type of governor that engine used.

  2. #2John Sarappa2023-01-09 12:10

    I will get one this afternoon, Thanks for the response!

  3. #3John Sarappa2023-01-09 16:53

    Here’s the pictures

  4. #4kshansen2023-01-10 19:51

    This might sound dumb but has this engine run OK in the recent past? I'm assuming you have unhooked the linkage from the arm on the side of the governor and confirmed the linkage moves free. Have you tried working that lever with the linkage removed from it to see if it snaps on and off from the run to shut off position? Any chance there are any numbers on the casting that big red arrow is pointing at? The one with the large pipe plug facing at you? Or are there any tags or numbers on the fuel pump other than the casting number 4S8410? One more thing there is a two bolt cover on the side of the head covered partially up by the arrow I put there. It sure looks like the upper bolt is missing.

  5. #5John Sarappa2023-01-10 20:11

    Runs like a bear, used it about a month ago, I will check for numbers, missing bolts. Thanks

  6. #6shopguy2023-01-10 20:48

    Does that one have to have oil pressure to kick on?

  7. #7Rusted2023-01-10 21:27

    Yes.

  8. #8kshansen2023-01-11 10:47

    Most Cat engines of that vintage had a device that only let the engine idle till it got oil pressure up. Could the problem be that the original poster is not giving it time to build pressure? Or could the device that hold it to idle be not letting it give enough fuel to start. I'll have to see if I can find something on this latter.

  9. #9John Sarappa2023-01-11 19:04

    Did not know that it needed oil pressure?

  10. #10kshansen2023-01-13 13:48

    Been many years since I was around one that old but recall that the foot peddle would move it down just enough to let it "snap" into the idle run position then once engine started or just built some oil pressure while cranking the foot peddle would move all the way. Also recall that if someone held the foot peddle down too hard while cranking it would not let you advance governor to rev up till you let the pressure off for a second to let the oil pressure pin move out of the way. Have you tried disconnecting the linkage at the pump and see if it will snap from kill to run positions? It won't move far but you should feel a positive detent in both directions. One of those things that if you know what to feel for it would be obvious if it was right or wrong but could take a long bit of typing to explain like this!

  11. #11John Sarappa2023-01-14 07:07

    I will try that this week, thanks.

  12. #12John Sarappa2023-02-01 13:34

    I feel like such a dummy! As someone pointed out,the throttle is oil pressure activated. The last time I tried starting it, the batteries were low and I gave up before the pressure built up to allow the pedal to move. I charged the batteries and it cranked over fast enough to build pressure to start! Then I remembered that after shutting it down while there is still pressure to put the pedal back in the run position. This allows it to get more fuel during cold starts. Thanks everyone!