Still struggling with the Bobcat 864. It is not displaying any fault codes, but it simply is unusable in its current state. Runs for a few minutes but quickly cuts out under load and starts belching block smoke as if starved for air. Five years ago the local Bobcat dealership installed a replacement engine.... I think it actually is slightly different than the original As near as I can tell, the original probably was a Deutz BF 4M1011F, as that is what comes up whenever I try to source parts. The replacement engine is a BF4L1011F. Perhaps not a major difference, but when I looked into a replacement turbocharger the TC model numbers for these engines are different. Not sure if this would make a huge difference, but I don't think the loader has ever worked correctly since the replacement engine was installed. There is a ton of air moving out of the blower on the right side of the machine, so I am guessing that the turbo is functioning-- or at least partially. I removed the air filters altogether to see if inward flow was somehow restricted. It actually would stay running then, but still bogs down under load. I noticed that there is a sensor mounted on the back of the air cleaner with wiring code 3700. This apparently is for an "Air Cleaner Switch". Not sure where there actually is a switch or how this functions, but could this be the issue? I have no leaks on the head gasket, and injector lines all seem fine. Not sure about the injectors themselves and/or how to determine if they are at fault. Any insight would be very much appreciated. how this functions
Have you ruled out this being a hydraulic issue? If you're having a malfunction with the hydraulics it could also cause the engine to load up excessively and could possibly cause the engine to start blowing black smoke.
No need for a new thread, you had me confused for a second. Only way to be positive turbo is performing is to measure boost pressure under load. Needs to be approx 10? Psi. Someone will have the actual spec if needed. Also, the large amounts of air at the side of the loader come from the cooling fan, not the turbo. Air cleaner switches only function is to activate a warning light when the air filter is clogged.
i'd pull the hose off the turbo and see if will turn. from the limited info i'd say the turbo is bad