Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 873 BICS troubles

Mmorgan ยท 2016-12-24 09:48

I have a bobcat 873 that we have had no real problems with, at least none that were the machines fault. Just recently I pulled it into the garage and later went to back it out and could not get the traction lock to release with the bar down. (The seat sensor does not work correctly so we always use the override button. ) With the seat bar up, I can push the override button and hear the traction lock solenoid disengage and have all function except the tilt/lift. All correct lights are lit up on the BICS controller too, just not the tilt/lift bc the bar is still up. When I lower the bar it of course resets the traction lock etc. Except that when I push the button after lowering the bar it refuses to release the traction lock. The BICS controller shows the seat sensor was bypassed by the override button but for some reason with the bar down it will not release the traction lock. Anyone have any experience with this problem or any advice? I would have to check again to be certain but I am pretty positive there are no flashing codes on any of the lights on the BICS. Any help would be appreciated as this is one of our primary snow removal machines and I really don't want to get caught by a storm with it down.

Replies8
  1. #1crewchief8882016-12-25 13:20

    park brake pedal/switch ? :drinkup

  2. #2Mmorgan2016-12-25 14:40

    I will check all of that when I get a chance but like I said it does drive normally as long as the bar is up (lift and tilt are just locked out in that case obviously. )

  3. #3willie592016-12-25 14:50

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the traction lock override will release the brake with the seat bar down. I believe the traction lock override is intended for use with the bar up when using an attachment like a front mounted backhoe, this allows the operator to move the machine from the backhoe seat.

  4. #4Mmorgan2016-12-25 15:57

    I don't know if that is the case or not but I do know that before this started happening I would put the bar down then hit that button (bc our seat sensor doesn't work) and you would hear the traction lock release. Now with the bar down you do not hear anything when the button is pushed. If our seat sensor did work correctly would putting the bar down also release the traction lock?

  5. #5Mmorgan2016-12-25 21:34

    Can anyone confirm whether or not the traction lock override will override the parking brake on the floor? Been thinking about crewchief's answer and if the answer to that question is yes than that seems a likely culprit for the problem

  6. #6Mmorgan2016-12-25 22:18

    Ok I'm an idiot. Yes the parking brake was on I forgot the thing even had one. Someone else got in the machine who wasn't familiar with it before I got in to move it and I should have known they messed with stuff. Thanks to those who replied, sorry my first posts on here were a waste of everyone's time...Merry Christmas everyone!

  7. #7willie592016-12-25 22:28

    No need to apologize Mmorgan, and no, your first posts were not a waste of our time. Heavy Equipment Forums is a community of folks more than willing to help with any problem, doesn't matter if the problem turns out to be in the "well duh!" category. It's all good when you get your problem sorted out. :drinkup

  8. #8Captbud42222016-12-28 23:26

    That's great to know As a new member it's great to see that silly questions are taken in stride and even obvious answers are not forgotten. I have a late 90s bobcat 773 and I'm getting tired of being robbed by the local dealer for repairs. Hell the last time I took my machine to be worked on the fix lasted 4 hours and all my chains and tie down equipment was robbed off my trailer. Service manager looked at me with that it's not my fault look