Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat 873 brake issues

TheKid ยท 2012-04-30 02:03

Guys guys It's been a long time I've been here but hoping for help. I'm helping a friend fix his bobcat after the rats got ahold of it. I lifted the cab section and repaired all wiring that was eaten. All salty switches and the "bis" system is all green showing good to. The bobcat starts fine, bucket goes up/down and tilts just fine. But when you go to travel forward or backwards It's all about 1' and then wiplash. I checked everything I can think of but not sure what I'm missing. I'm used to cranes and this this is just a toy compared to what I'm normally dealing with. But it being a bobcat I'm sure It's something silly. I would love to check the fuses if only I knew where the fuse box was. I find relays all day but no fuses? I'm in so. California so if anyone is willing to call me in the morning for easier and faster brainstorm then let me know. I need to get this thing going tomorrow and apparently bobcat service is about 200 an hr in our area so I'm trying to help a buddy out.

Replies2
  1. #1crewchief8882012-05-12 17:13

    fuse location varies by machine but it sounds like you have an older series square headlights, fuses are in the eng compartment, 2 small covers, 1" sq , held on with metal clips. if all the lights on the bics are on steady, the elec system is good, if not, count the # of flashes of the idiot light. the brake soleloid has 2 coils, pull is covered through the fuse/relay, hold coil is powered by the bics :drinkup

  2. #2TheKid2012-05-12 19:54

    Oh, oops I forgot to repost my results. Well long story short the bobcat was stored in the back of the yard and the rabbits of all things ate the wiring. I flipped up the cab to check the solenoids and there was a whole family having a buffet of electrical. I ordered new solenoid and repaired wiring. All better now. Now the bobcat stores in the owners garage. Crewchief, you were very right and thanks for the reply. The brakes were jammed as well due to someone trying to force the bobcat around and the parking break wedge was stuck. Alittle live with a hammer and all good.