Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 873G 1999 engine stop. (no oil).

aquileus ยท 2010-05-07 19:42

Today, after 3 hrs working in a raining day, the engine suddently stop , no weird noises, crank but don't start, the traction lock yellow led light is off, but worst with the rain I totally forgot to check the oil level :Banghead before start working with the skid steer, the oil level after the engine stop was empty. It was leaking in the oil filter. I don't have an owner manual. I already look the fuse panel and is ok. I need sugestions of maybe happend. In case I have to check some selenoid I need to know where is located. In the worst case scenario, how to unlock the skidsteer to move it home? Thanks.

Replies14
  1. #1willie592010-05-07 20:32

    I suppose you did add oil to engine, then try and start it? How long did you run the engine with little or no oil? Not sure, but the engine may have had a low oil pressure shut down system. Seems like adding oil back to engine would allow it to start after it regains oil pressure. If you can't get the engine to run, the only way you could tow the machine would be raise the cab and remove the entire traction lock assembly mounted on top of the center chain case.

  2. #2aquileus2010-05-07 22:14

    Thanks Atco, yes, I add oil, I try to start it like 5 times for 20 seconds each, I was afraid to make it worst. Tomorrow I should try start it for longer time. If not then removing traction lock assembly. Then where should start to get a diagnosis?

  3. #3aquileus2010-05-07 22:16

    Where I can find a diagram of this Bobcat 873?

  4. #4aquileus2010-05-08 09:30

    This morning I try to start the machine, but nothing, before remove the traction lock assembly is something else I should check? I read in other post check the oil swith or fuel switch? Where are the oil switch or fuel switch? How to test it? Thanks for your help!

  5. #5willie592010-05-08 10:26

    It sounds like your not very familiar with your engine and its workings, which is not a problem, just not sure about your mechanical knowledge. I can't help but think you have a fuel problem. Seems logical to me that if your engine had a low oil pressure shut down system, it would remedy your problem by adding engine oil. Since it still won't start, I'd be checking the fuel delivery system and components. Does your machine have the Deutz BF4M1011F oil cooled engine?

  6. #6aquileus2010-05-08 20:46

    Yes I'm not familiar with the engine, Yes it has a Deutz engine. Does somebody know where I can download a service manual for this model? Thank you.

  7. #7TriHonu2010-05-08 21:31

    Take a look HERE for a manual. There is a copy of the manual for an 863 which has the same engine.

  8. #8aquileus2010-05-10 09:45

    Thanks TriHonu for the link to the manual. The machine is in my house, I remove the remove the traction lock (thanks Atco) and was able to tow it home. So far I add more oil, check the timing belt, the fuse panel. Everything looks normal. I been trying to find out how to diagnose why wont start. I disconet a fuel line close to an injector and try to start it, and diesel came ot of the line, I asume the system is working. Any suggestions?

  9. #9aquileus2010-05-10 15:32

    Ok, was the fuel shut off solenoid, I read is a commom problem in this engines. Does somebody know where to buy it? Where I can find the part #?

  10. #10bill onthehill2010-05-10 16:36

    Do you have any farm tractor dealers near you? An Agco-Allis dealer may be able to help you out.

  11. #11willie592010-05-10 17:57

    Is there not a Bobcat distributor in Puerto Rico? I did find a link for Duetz in Puerto Rico. http://www.deutzamericas.com/distributors/dealerpages/usa_PR.htm

  12. #12aquileus2010-05-15 21:27

    Thanks for the links the place is near my house? On Monday I'll go to get the solenoid.

  13. #13willie592010-05-15 21:53

    Your welcome.

  14. #14Mavrickxxx2010-05-19 18:08

    I am sorry for post under someone elses post as I can't start a new thread yet.I have n 864 I bought a little while ago for 3200 the engine was supposed to be shot I put new injectors n injection pumps n it runs great now starts hard almost as if fuel drains back out. N needs to build prime agin. My real ? Is now it's running n I get ahc light n it locks hydralicswhen u use bucket to tilt down.up ndown is fine n curl up.I was hoping someone could help